Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

Remove and install the water pump on a 93 Nissan Sentra XE 1.6 liter?

How do you remove and install the water pump on a 93 Nissan Sentra XE 1.6 liter?
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 9 years ago.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

CAUTIONWhen draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.

E-Series Engines

See Figure 1

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Water pump removal-E-Series engines

1. Drain the cooling system.

2. Remove the power steering drive belt and the power steering pump.

When removing the power steering pump, do not disconnect the pressure hoses or drain the system.

1. Remove the water pump/alternator drive belt.

2. Remove the alternator mounting bolts and move it aside.

3. Remove the water pump pulley, then the water pump and the gasket.

To install:

1. Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.

2. Install the water pump on the engine, with a new gasket. Torque the water pump bolts evenly to 78-120 inch lbs. (9-13 Nm).

3. Install the water pump pulley, alternator and the power steering pump.

4. Adjust the drive belts and refill the cooling system. Start the engine and check for leaks.

CA16DE and CA18DE Engines

See Figure 2

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Water pump removal-CA16DE and CA18DE engines

1. Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.

2. Drain the engine coolant.

3. Loosen the bolts retaining the fan shroud to the radiator and remove the shroud.

4. Loosen the belt, then remove the fan and pulley from the water pump hub.

5. Remove the bolts retaining the pump and remove the pump together with the gasket from the front cover.

To install:

1. Remove all traces of gasket material and install the pump in the reverse order. Use a new gasket and sealer. Tighten the bolts uniformly and torque to 12-14 ft. lbs. (16-18 Nm).

2. Install the pulley and fan onto the water pump hub.

3. Install and adjust the drive belt and radiator shroud.

4. Connect the negative (-) battery cable.

5. Refill the cooling system and start the engine and check for leaks.

The water pump cannot be disassembled and must be replaced as a unit. Be careful not to get coolant on the timing belt

GA16i Engine

2. Drain the coolant from the radiator and cylinder block.

CAUTION When draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old. Remove all the drive belts.

1. Unbolt the water pump pulley and the water pump attaching bolts.

2. Separate the water pump with the gasket, if installed, from the cylinder block.

3. Remove all gasket material or sealant from the water pump mating surfaces. All sealant must be removed from the groove in the water pump surface also.

To install:

1. Apply a continuous bead of high temperature liquid gasket to the water pump housing mating surface. The housing must be attached to the cylinder block within 5 minutes after the sealant is applied. After the pump housing is bolted to the block, wait at least 30 minutes for the sealant to cure before starting the engine.

2. Position the water pump (and gasket) onto the block and install the attaching bolts. Torque the small retaining bolts to about 60 inch lbs. (10 Nm) and large retaining bolts 12-14 ft. lbs. (16-20 Nm).

3. Install the water pump pulley.

4. Install the drive belts and adjust the tension.

5. Fill the cooling system to the proper level.

6. Connect the negative (-) battery cable.

GA16DE Engine

See Figures 4, 5, 6 and 7

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Removing the water pump retaining bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Removing the water pump

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: The thermostat housing is mounting to the water pump on the GA16DE engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Apply RTV gasket sealer in a continuous bead around the water pump-GA16DE engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain the cooling system.

When draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old. Remove the cylinder head front mounting bracket.

1. Loosen the water pump pulley bolts.

2. Remove the engine drive belts from the A/C compressor, power steering pump and alternator.

3. Remove the belt pulley from the water pump.

4. Disconnect electrical connectors and coolant hoses from the thermostat housing.

5. Unbolt and remove the water pump and thermostat housing from the engine.

Remove the thermostat housing with water pump assembly.

1. Remove the bolts that secure the thermostat housing to the water pump.

2. Remove all traces of gasket material from sealing surfaces.

To install:

1. Apply a continuous bead of liquid sealer to the sealing surface of the thermostat housing. The sealant should be 0.079-0.118 in. (2-3mm) diameter.

2. Install the thermostat housing on the water pump and tighten mounting bolts to 56-73 inch lbs. (7-8 Nm).

3. Apply a continuous bead of liquid sealer to the sealing surface of the water pump. The sealant should be 0.079-0.118 in. (2-3mm) diameter.

4. Install the water pump on the engine and tighten mounting bolts to 56-73 inch lbs. (7-8 Nm).

5. Install the pulley on the water pump and tighten the mounting bolts to 56-73 inch lbs. (7-8 Nm).

6. Connect electrical connectors and coolant hoses to the thermostat housing.

7. Install and adjust the alternator, power steering and A/C compressor drive belts.

8. Refill the cooling system and connect the negative battery cable.

9. Start the engine, bleed the cooling system, warm the engine to full operating temperature, and check for leaks.

10. If necessary, refill the cooling system when the engine has cooled.

Marc, Technician
Experience: 33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.