Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

71 F100 truck wont start... tried everything

Customer Question

My 71 ford f100 (ranger/camper edition with 390 engine won’t start). I drove it everyday and just one day out of the blue it took like 10 min to start on my way home from work. It ran well on the way home, but once i shut it off, it has never started again. i have changed the oil, the plugs, the wires, put a full tank of gas in it, rebuilt the carburetor, re-timed it (i did get it running once after i rebuilt the carb but the same thing happened, it took a long time to get it going, then it ran fine till i shut it off, and never started again..), i have checked the fuel coming from the carb pumps and i have a see through fuel filter so i can see fuel flowing. I have checked each individual wire and checked that they have spark... as of now i am dumbfounded... i have been working on cars for a long time and have always used the premise with old vehicles that if you have air, fuel and spark in the right time, the engine will start and run... it doesn’t even catch... just sits there and cranks... PLEASE HELP... i love my truck and now my wife wants me to get rid of it because it doesn’t work... any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
  How many miles on the engine? 

Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Unless you have changed it over you have points and condensor as maintainence items.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: the spedometer says around 55000 as it doesnt go past 100000... so either 55 or 155 thousand... however i believe it to be 55000 based upon the condition of the rest of the truck... it is very clean...
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: also, the distibutor was replaced about 2 years ago which was about... maybee 5000-10000 miles ago... the carbuerator and fuel pump were replaced then as well... i havenot replaced the condensor though... maybe i will give it a shot... would that casue this kind of problem???
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 FYI 10k on a set of points and condensor is alot without replacement or at least an adjustment.It may be time to check the timing chain and gears for wear and or a jumped chain.Also do a compression test before tearing anything apart.  
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: oh yeah i forgot to mention i have done a compresion test as well, both wet and dry and everything seems to be fine... between 125 and 150 per cylander with moderately higher numbers on the wet tewst... thanks for your input... i will look into the points and condenser. i dont htink it is the timing chain, as when i can get it to start it runs great...