Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette: 121,000 miles..check engine..low coolant

We have a 1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette aprox. 121,000 miles, that we took to the mechanic to have the thermastat and intake gaskets that needed to be replaced. The check engine and low coolant lights had come on...
Mechanic called 2 days later and said it was ready but wanted to keep it until morning so they could road test it. They knew that we were going on business trip the next day. That evening the same lights came back on and thermastat was showing high so we took it back in the following morning on our way out of town and both the mechanic and service rep examined it and took it out on the road to check. At that time they said it was safe to drive and was probably a switch on the radiator and to bring it back in on the following monday. The whole trip the thermastat show a little high and on sat when driving it, it suddenly spiked and in the short amount of time it took to get off the freeway it lost power and by the time we got it to the nearest parking lot it died. After waiting a short time the radiator was checked and was 1 1/2 quart low of fluid so that was added and then taken to nearest dealer where he said it was most likely a air pocket in the system ( radiator?) and to bring it in on monday. We drove home and took it in monday morning and now the head gaskets and both heads ( cracked ) are damaged and have to be replaced. We paid aprox. 1000.00 the first repair and now this one is aprox. 1600.00. My question is did the mechanic miss this and are they at fault? I am feeling angry that they supposedly fixed the original only problem at that time and now we have more problems. Up to that point we had not had any problems with this vehicle. They have told us they will ONLY charge us 1/2 of labor on this new repair.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Make sure you document every bit of information you just told us about and anything else they said. You may have to get a lawyer involved but they just cost you a motor. You did everything you were supposed to. You advised them of the problem and they told you to ignore it and drive on a long trip. They messed up that job and you need to squeeze them until they fix everything at no charge. And don't accept anything that's not as good a quality as what you started with.
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Thankyou for your help and advise. We have told them to fix it as we need the vehicle running and then after it is paid for, contest their handling of repairs. What I find is interesting is the service person is going back and forth with his Manager who we never see, to negotiate. As in, he came back and informed us that they were only going to charge us 1/2 labor and the poor mechanic was loosing out by only getting 1/2. Any advice on how to handle this part?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I would pay somebody else to fix that and come back to sue him for the money. Your dealing with a bad shop and more bad things are going to happen. If the owner/manager won't even have the courtesy to talk to you himself, get out of there. He may be setting you up for denial later. Your being ripped off.