Andrew J.
Andrew J., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  15+ years of automotive servicing, restoration of classic automobiles, autobody repair
136039

how to get door panel off malibu ls

Customer Question

We need to remove the door panel off a 1999 Malibu LS.
Category: Car
Expert:  Andrew J. replied 11 years ago.

Door Panels

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. For the front door, remove the front door trim panel insert, as follows:

1. Push the lower front corner rearward in order to disengage the hidden plastic tab.
    2. Push the lower rear corner forward in order to disengage the hidden plastic tab.
    3. Pull inward in order to disengage the top clip.

Fig. 1: Remove the front door trim panel insert

3. Remove the door handle bezel screw from the handle bezel.

Fig. 2: Remove the door handle bezel screw (1) from the handle bezel (2)

4. Remove the power door lock switch from the door handle bezel by prying the power door lock switch from the retainers.
  5. Detach the electrical connector from the power door lock switch.

Fig. 3: Remove the power door lock switch (2) from the door handle bezel (3) by prying the switch from the retainers, then detach the switch electrical connector (1)

6. If equipped, remove the manual window crank handle.

Fig. 4: The manual window crank handle is retained to the regulator by a retaining clip

Fig. 5: A special tool is available to release the window crank handle retaining clip. Insert the tool behind the handle and release the clip to remove the handle

Fig. 6: Remove the washer from the door panel that sits behind the manual window crank

7. If equipped, remove the power window switch, as follows:

1. Remove the door power window switch from the door by prying at the top of the switch with a flat-bladed tool.
    2. Detach the electrical connector from the power door window switch.
    3. Remove the bezel from the power door window switch by prying out the retainers with the flat-bladed tool.

Fig. 7: Removing the door power window switch (3) from the door

8. Remove the door handle plug with a flat-bladed tool.
  9. Remove the two door handle trim screws.

Fig. 9: The retaining clips can be released by carefully pulling the door panel from the door assembly

Fig. 10: When all the retaining clips are disengaged, remove the door panel

NOTE: The door panel retaining clips can also be removed by carefully and gently pulling on the door panel to disengage them from the door.

10. Remove the door panel from the door.

To install:

11. Ensure that the retaining clips are in place on the door panel.
  12. Position the door panel on the door and gently push the panel into place to engage the retaining clips.
  13. Install the all the door panel retaining screws.
  14. The balance of the installation is the reverse of removal.

_________________________
-FireKhan