Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

1998 chevy truck: 350 MOTOR IT HAS FAIL TO CRANK ABOUT 8 TIMES..30 min

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1998 CHEV TRUCK 350 MOTOR IT HAS FAIL TO CRANK ABOUT 8 TIMES IN SEVEN YEARS IT WILL CRANK UP AND RUN ABOUT 1 SCEOND THEN IT WILL GO DEAD   I KEEP TRYING TO CRANK IT AND GET THE SAME REZULTS WALK A WAY FOR ABOUT 30 MIN AND RETRY TO CRANK IT AND IT WILL CRANK UP AND RUN WITH NO TROUBLE FOR 6 TO 9 MONTHS AND IT WILL REPET THE SAME PROMBLE
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Is the security light flashing when it does this?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 You most likely need a new pass lock sensor.The system will need relearned when you are done.If you choose to do this yourself I can provide the needed instructions.Please click on my accept button to continue.Any additional info will be included for the accept fee on this problem.Don't close the question if you feel you may need additional help.     
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: NO
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: I NEED ADDITIONAL HELP
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
  [Quote]I NEED ADDITIONAL HELP [/QUOTE]

Especially if the security light isn't on..........

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: THANK YOU DIABLO666 FOR THE NO ONE KNOWS
I NEED TO KNOW WHERE IT IS AND HOW TO INSTALL IT

THANK YOU
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.

Electronic Column Lock Module - Disassemble - Off Vehicle (Column Shift)

Disassembly Procedure

1. Remove the ignition and key alarm switch assembly. Refer to Ignition and Key Alarm Switch Assembly - Disassemble - Off Vehicle .
    Object Number: 306295  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

2. Remove 3 pan head tapping screws (2) from the lock module assembly (1).
  3. Remove the lock module assembly (1).

Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.

Ignition and Key Alarm Switch Assembly - Disassemble - Off Vehicle (Column Shift)

Disassembly Procedure

1. Remove the upper tilt head components. Refer to Steering Column Tilt Head Housing - Disassemble - Off Vehicle .
    Object Number: 306234  Size: SH

2. Slide the 2 connectors of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) off from the bulk head connector (1).
    Object Number: 324882  Size: SH

3. Remove the key alarm connector (1) from the lock module assembly (2).
  4. Remove the 2 tapping screws from the ignition key alarm switch assembly (3).

Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.

PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn

Conditions

Important: If a new vehicle/powertrain control module (VCM/PCM) is being installed for the first the manufacturing enable bit will be set and the auto learn procedure may not be necessary.

The following procedure allows for anyone to reprogram the EVO/Passlock™ module learned data code with any tools, other than the scan tool, when any of the following parts are replaced:

• 
The EVO/Passlock™ module

• 
The passlock™ sensor

• 
The VCM/PCM

The EVO/Passlock™ module will set the DTC B3031 module in the learn mode when entering the reprogramming procedure.

Steps

Important: Erase the passlock™ related diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that are stored in the VCM/PCM. If there are any powertrain related DTCs, record these DTCs then:

• 
For 4.3L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 4.3L

• 
For 5.0/5.7L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 5.0/5.7L

• 
For 6.5L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 6.5L

• 
For 7.4L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 7.4L
In addition to the time involved in performing the specific steps, the Seed and Key programming procedure takes 10 minutes. The Auto Lean programming procedure takes 30 minutes. For the Seed and Key procedure, refer to PASSLOCK Reprogramming Seed and Key .

The following is the Auto Learn Procedure:

1. Insure the ignition key is in the ON position.
  2. Clear all EVO/passlock™ module and VCM/PCM DTCs. Record and refer any VCM/PCM DTCs to:

- 
     Controls - 4.3L

- 

- 

- 
    For 7.4L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board

3. Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the CRANK position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the RUN position (Do NOT key OFF in the process).
  4. Wait 10 minutes. Observe the SECURITY indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses:

- 
    If the passlock™ sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.

- 
    If the EVO/passlock™ module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration.

- 
    If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary.

- 
    If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.

5. The SECURITY indicator will transition from flashing to ON briefly to OFF after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition ON position.
  6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the Passlock sensor, EVO/Passlock module and VCM/PCM. The new password XXXXX XXXXX on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt).