Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1995 Hyundai Elantra: 1.8L..problen..normal temp

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1995 Hyundai Elantra: 1.8L Auto.
The problen that I am having is that my A/C only cycles when the engine is at normal temp 195F or higher. any lower temp it doesn't cycle. any help would be great.
Thanks,
Nick
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 That's not necessarily wrong. The cycling works from a pressure switch. Most are set to cycle off at 22-24lbs. If it is hot outside and the fan is on high speed, the pressure may never come that low. Obviously, when the engine is cold, it hasn't been running long enough to bring the pressures that low. If you were to run the fan speed on low, it would begin cycling much earlier but as soon as you increased the fan speed it would stop until the evaporator temps came way down. I hope this help you understand the system. Please click on the ACCEPT button after viewing.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I always start my fan on low and I've also tried to jump my pressure switch,evacuated the system and recharged it also. Even when the outside temp is below 70F and still nothing until the engine temp is at mormal.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

You need to know pressures to determine if you even have a problem. Jumping the switch definately won't make it cycle. The switch is what does it. You have to find out if the pressure is dropping below 22-24 lbs. I really doubt you have a problem because it would be freezing up if it was getting that low without cycling.  

Wait a minute, I just looked at your car make again. do you even have a cycling system on that? Does it have an accumulator? You have a thermostat in the evaporator.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: yes my car does have an accumlator on it
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 OK, then it is a clutch cycling system. Like I said, check the pressure.  
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: alright I checked the pressure and I am getting between 20 and 22Lbs on the low side
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
   Try turnng the blower to low and rev it to about 2000RPM and see just how low it goes. If it goes any lower, replace the cycling switch on the accumulator.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Alright I need to replace my cycling switch. pressure dropped below 19Lbs, is the switch a dealer only part?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 No, not usually. Most auto parts stores can get you one.