Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

how to change a signal switch

Customer Question

how to change a signal switch
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

On what year make and model?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 You take the screws out and unplug the wires.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: what screws, from the stering column?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
91 chevy cavalier
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

[Quote]91 chevy cavalier [/QUOTE]

That's more like it. Enginboy will help you from here.

Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

DISABLING THE SYSTEM

See Figure 5

With the "AIR BAG" fuse removed and the ignition switch

ON, the "AIR BAG" warning lamp will be on. The is normal and does not indicate any system malfunction.

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.

2. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK, remove the key, then disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. Remove the "AIR BAG" fuse from the fuse block.

4. Remove the steering column filler panel.

5. Disengage the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) and both yellow two way connectors and corresponding CPAs located near the base of the steering column.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

ENABLING THE SYSTEM

See Figure 5

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK, then remove the key.

3. Engage both yellow SIR connectors and corresponding CPAs located near the base of the steering column.

4. Install the steering column filler panel.

5. Install the "AIR BAG" fuse to the fuse block.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

7. Turn the ignition switch to RUN and make sure that the "AIR BAG" warning lamp flashes seven times and then shuts off. If the warning lamp does not shut off, make sure that the wiring is properly connected. If the light remains on, take the vehicle to a reputable repair facility for service.

Click image to see an enlarged view 

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7

Some models covered by this information may be equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS, as described in Chassis Electrical.

1. If equipped, disable the SIR system. For details, please refer to the procedure located in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Pull the horn pad from the steering wheel - 1988 Sunbird shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Detach the horn electrical connector

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: On some earlier model vehicles, you must remove a retaining circlip

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Unfasten the steering shaft nut

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: If there are no factory alignment marks, matchmark the steering wheel to the shaft

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Use a suitable puller to remove the steering wheel from the vehicle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: When installing the steering wheel, make sure the align the matchmarks made during removal

1. If not done already, disconnect the negative cable.

2. Unfasten the retaining screws or pull the pad/center cap from the steering wheel.

3. Detach the horn lead, then remove remove the retainer (if so equipped).

4. Unfasten the steering shaft nut.

5. There should be alignment marks already present on the wheel and shaft. If not, matchmark the steering wheel to the shaft.

6. Using a suitable steering wheel puller, remove the wheel from the vehicle. On some vehicles, a horn spring, eyelet and insulator are underneath; don't lose the parts.

To install:

1. If equipped, install the spring, eyelet and insulator into the tower on the column.

2. Install the wheel on the shaft, aligning the matchmarks. Install the shaft nut and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).

3. Install the retainer.

4. Attach the horn lead, then install the pad or center cap.

5. If equipped, make sure to enable the SIR system as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

1991-94 Cavalier

See Figure 5

This procedure covers removal and installation of the headlamp, headlamp dimmer switch, turn signal and hazard switches, as well as the cruise control switch.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: View of the steering column showing the turn signal switch location

1. If not already done, disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Unfasten the horn pad, then remove the steering wheel. For details, please refer to the procedure earlier in this section.

If necessary, using locking pliers with a piece of rubber (such as a spark plug boot) between the jaws to help prevent damage to the tilt lever during removal.

1. If equipped, remove the tilt lever from the steering column by grasping the lever firmly and twisting counterclockwise, while pulling it from the column.

2. Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.

3. Remove the dampener assembly, then unfasten and remove the switch assembly from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Position and secure the switch assembly.

2. Install the dampener and the upper and lower steering column covers.

3. If equipped, attach the tilt lever to the column.

4. Install the steering wheel, then fasten the horn pad.

5. If equipped, enable the SIR system, as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: how do i read your reply?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 In order to read enginboy's answer, you need to pay the deposit first.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Your answer has been posted with photos and illistrations ,you must first post a deposit to veiw it after veiwing please hit the acept button to complete the transaction thank you Enginboy.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
do i need any special tool to remove the steering wheel?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: do i need a special tool to remove the steering wheel?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: thanks for the illistration, but do i need any special tool to remove the steering wheel?
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
 Yes you need a puller to get the wheel off that should be the only special tool you need. You can borrow the puller from your local autozone store if you leave a deposit.  

Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Your answer has been posted please hit the accept button to complete the transaction

Thank You

Enginboy