Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

change fuel pump blazer 98

change fuel pump blazer 98

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the fuel from the tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Draining Procedure .

1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to

2. Notice: When jacking or lifting a vehicle, do not allow the lift pads to contact any of the following parts:

1.    • 

The catalytic converter

• 
    The brake lines

• 
    The brake cables

• 
    The fuel lines

• 
    The accelerator cables

• 
    The transmission shift cables

1. Lift pad contact may damage the parts. Lift pad contact may cause unsatisfactory vehicle performance.

2. .
      Object Number: 420632  Size: SH
      Click here for detailed picture of above image.

3. Loosen the filler neck hose clamp at the fuel tank (2).
    4. Disconnect the fuel tank filler neck from the fuel tank.
    5. Support the fuel tank.
      Object Number: 17515  Size: MH

6. Remove the fuel tank shield.
      Object Number: 17533  Size: MH

7. Remove the tank straps.

Notice: Ensure that the connections to both roll over valves are disconnected prior to lowering the fuel tank more than 51 mm (2 in). The roll over valves are located at both the front and rear of the fuel tank.

Notice: Use extreme care when lowering the fuel tank. The fuel sender is made of plastic. Lowering the fuel tank may damage the fuel sender.

8. Lower the fuel tank.
      Object Number: 331713  Size: SH

9. Disconnect the fuel and vapor hoses and the electrical connections at the sender.
      Object Number: 331709  Size: SH

10. Use tool J 39765 in order to remove the fuel sender and the seal ring.
    11. Discard the old seal ring.

Object Number: 331709  Size: SH

1. Install a new seal ring.

Notice: Do not fold or twist the strainer when installing the sending unit. This action restricts fuel flow.

2. Reinstall sender using tool J 39765 .
    3. Raise tank slightly.
      Object Number: 331713  Size: SH

4. Reconnect the fuel and vapor hoses and the electrical connections at the sender. Ensure the ground strap is also reinstalled to the body.
    5. Raise the tank fully.
      Object Number: 420632  Size: SH

6. Reinstall the fuel tank filler neck to the tank.
    7. Tighten the clamp.
      Object Number: 17533  Size: MH

Notice: Tighten the strap fasteners by steps, alternating between the fasteners, until the specified torque is reached. A failure to tighten the strap fasteners as specified will cause the bottom of the tank to flex upward. This will result in the fuel gauge indicating that there is fuel remaining in the tank when the tank is empty.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

8. Install the fuel tank brackets with insulator strips in place.

Tighten
      Tighten the strap nuts to 45 N·m (33 lb ft.).

Object Number: 17515  Size: MH

9. Install the fuel tank shield
    10. Lower the vehicle.
    11. Replenish fuel.
    12. Reinstall fuel tank filler cap.
    13. Reconnect the negative battery cable. If a memory retention device was not used, please reset (to the extent possible) all devices that lost their memory after the battery was disconnected.
    14. Check for leaks.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: mm theres a reset fuel pump button? I dont heard the pump works , do I have to change it because it seems difficult to me?
     Are you asking how to tell if the pump is working now?You asked how to change the pump and I did give you the proper instructions on how to do it.There is no reset button on GM vehicles at this time.Do you need the vehicle diagnosed for a no start condition?Yes the pumps are a pain in the butt to change but if its bad it needs changed.The reset in the instructions is for the clock and radio settings to be corrected.My fuel pump replacement directions are correct can I expect an accept?Leave the question open after accepting if you need further instructions on this subject matter.
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: thank you I think is the fuel pump because theres no noise when I try to start the car, but I dont know where its located , and I want to know if theres power to the fuel pump, how to know? and the relay doesnt made any noise when I put the swith on??? that why Im asking if theres power going to the pump.. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX what else I have to do with you reply thakns again
     The pump is in the gas tank as the instructions show the tank needs removed to change it.Check or replace the fuse named ECM B in the underhood fuse box.If the fuse is blown either you have a short in the pump,wiring to the pump,shorted oil pressure switch,or wiring going to the switch.If you look at the fuel pump relay you will see numbers that correspond to the terminals in the fuse box.Jumper from the terminal #3 to #4 and see if it will start if it doesn't you will need to check for power at the gray wire at the fuel pump back at the gas tank and for ground at the black wire at the pump.If you have both power and ground you will need a pump.For your info if the pump relay was bad it would still start through the oil pressure switch if it was cranked long enough to build up oil pressure.Also see if the relay clicks when the key is first turned on this requires 2 people one to turn the key and one with a finger on the relay.Please click on accept after viewing.If further help is needed leave the question open and I will help see you through this for what you already paid with the accept of my answer.
    Davo, Master technician
    Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: so if, when i touch the relay doesnt work maybe is an electrical power isnt it?what i do in this case? abd exactly how can i get to the fuel pump? I mean the exactly place
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: what if the relay doest click??
     If the relay doesn't click it could be bad or it is not being controlled by the engine computer which could be power or ground.Did you check the fuse yet?Fuse B under the hood.Please check it so we know which way to continue.Also please read the post you accepted and use the info.I need to know if the fuse is blown or not.
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: thank you very very much for your answer ,,mm let me check.... ok the B fuse its OK i touch the relay and does not click when I turn the switch on,, ok and please explain me what post you want me to accept thsnk you very much again Ill be waiting
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    also I change the relay by the horn relay and nothing this may help thanks
     If the relay isn't clicking check for battery voltage at terminal #2 of the relay.Do you have 12 volts at terminals #2 and #3 at the fuel pump relay?Check for 12 volts at the orange wire of the oil pressure switch.Let me know the readings in volts at each location.Check the voltages with the engine cranking.  
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: it seems like NO voltage and I dont know where is the orange wire of the oil presure thaks a lot
     What are you using to check the voltages and the fuse?
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: a led circuit tester
     Are you sure you have power at fuse B ?Battery voltage at the fuse?You said you checked it and it checked good.
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: yes im sure the fuse b its OK snd no click whe I pwer on the switch? thanks again

If you have power at fuse B and don't have power at the relay and the vehicle won't start through the oil pressure switch the fuse box would have to be bad or you are not performing the tests properly.I have never seen a bad fuse box yet on that model vehicle.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: how can start from the oil pressure?????
     Because there is a backup circuit to the fuel pump besides the fuel pump relay circuit that will allow the vehicle to run after the engine has cranked long enough to build oil pressure.I explained this earlier in this thread.The relay and the backup circuit are both powered by fuse B.You say you have battery voltage at fuse B but no battery voltage at the relay.There is a metal bar in the fuse box that powers the relay from ECM fuse B.
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: hi thanks for everything,, the fuse was blow and already starts thank you but the service engine light goes on?? i dont know if theres manually way to check that I will love to learn that before take the suv to the mechanic ?? know anything about it?? thanks anyway MR.
     Autozone can read the codes for you but don't do anything but clear them.The things you have had disconnected may be why the codes are set.If the codes come back ask a new question instead of posting to this thread.You should close this question since the problem has been corrected.
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: thanks so what to do ?? post a new question? but if autozone give that codes ?? you said I have to correct them or what because the car have a fail try to shut down but it doesnt?? well thanks
     #1 clear the codes #2 use the vehicle and see if the light comes back on #3 if the light comes back on have the codes read a second time #4 start a new question about the codes
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: and if I disconnect tjhe batt will clear the codes??
     Yes it will but you will not know what the codes were.It will also delete the engine and transmission "learned status" which may cause stalling and poor driveability of the truck.If you have more questions start a new question thread.I will not answer in this thread anymore I feel you have received your $5 worth.
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: yes thank you very very much
    Customer: replied 11 years ago.
    Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: hi i made a mistake the pump was changed my brother told me today , then car start to turn the "engine s. soon" light and spend more gas???? can you help??