Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

1999 ford escort zx2: need diagram of belt routing and idler locations

Customer Question

rpl serpitine belt on 1999 ford escort zx2, need diagram of belt routing and idler locations
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Wasn't sure what engine you had so I icluded them all

1.8L Engines

ALTERNATOR AND WATER PUMP BELT

See Figures 6 and 7

1. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt.

2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

3. Loosen the alternator mounting bolt.

Do not pry against the stator frame. Position the prybar against a stronger point, such as the area around a case bolt.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: A belt tension gauge should be placed on the longest span of the belt to check tension-1.8L engine

1. Position a suitable belt tension gauge on the longest accessible span of belt and tighten the belt.

2. Adjust the tension to 86-103 lbs. (383-461 N) for a new belt or 68-86 lbs. (304-383 kg) for a used belt.

3. If a belt tension gauge is not available, adjust the tension to 0.31-0.35 in. (8-9mm) deflection for a new belt or 0.35-0.39 in. (9-10mm) deflection for a used belt.

4. Tighten the alternator adjusting bolt to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).

5. Tighten the alternator mounting bolt to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm).

6. Lower the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Alternator and water pump pulley belt routing-1.8L engine

POWER STEERING PUMP BELT

See Figures 8 and 9

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

2. Loosen the power steering pump mounting bolt and nuts.

3. Adjust the power steering pump and, if equipped, the air conditioning compressor belt tension by turning the pump adjusting bolt.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Power steering pump belt routing and locations of the mounting bolts, nuts and adjusting nut-models without A/C

1. Tighten the power steering pump mounting nut near the pump adjusting bolt.

2. Position a suitable belt tension gauge on the longest accessible span of belt and tighten the belt.

3. Adjust the tension to 110-132 lbs. (491-589 N) for a new belt or 95-110 lbs. (422-491 N) for a used belt.

4. Check for proper belt deflection. For a new belt (one with less than 10 minutes of run time), the deflection should be 0.31-0.35 in. (8-9mm). For a used belt (one with more than 10 minutes of run time), the deflection should be 0.35-0.39 in. (9-10mm).

5. Tighten the power steering pump mounting nut, located near the adjusting bolt, to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm).

6. Tighten the pump mounting bolt behind the pulley to 27-40 ft. lbs. (36-54 Nm), and the remaining pump mounting nut to 23-34 ft. lbs. (31-46 Nm).

7. Lower the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Power steering pump belt routing and locations of the mounting bolts, nuts and adjusting nut-models with A/C

1.9L Engines

See Figure 10

The accessory drive belt for 1.9L engines has no provision for manual belt adjustment, since these engines use an automatic belt tensioner. Drive belt slack is taken up by the automatic tensioner.

Movement of the automatic tensioner assembly during engine operation is not a sign of a malfunctioning tensioner. This movement is the tensioner self-adjusting and is required to maintain constant belt tension.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Drive belt routing-1.9L engines

2.0L Engines

See Figures 11, 12 and 13

The accessory drive belt for 2.0L engines has no provision for manual belt adjustment, since these engines use an automatic belt tensioner. Drive belt slack is taken up by the automatic tensioner.

The belt tensioner has a belt length indicator. If the indicator marks are not between the MIN and MAX marks, the belt must be replaced.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: Drive belt routing-2.0L SOHC engine with A/C

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: Drive belt routing-2.0L SOHC engine without A/C

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: Drive belt routing-2.0L DOHC engine

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1.8L Engines

ALTERNATOR AND WATER PUMP BELT

See Figure 7

1. Riase the front of the car and support it with safety stands.

2. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt.

3. If necessary, remove the power steering drive belt .

4. Loosen the alternator mounting bolt.

5. Remove the alternator and water pump drive belt.

To install:

1. Install the alternator and water pump drive belt.

2. Adjust the belt tension.

3. If removed, install the power steering pump belt.

6. Lower the vehicle.

POWER STEERING PUMP BELT

See Figures 8 and 9

3. Remove the drive belt.

To install:

1. Install the belt and adjust the tension.

2. Tighten the power steering pump mounting nut, located near the adjusting bolt, to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm).

3. Tighten the pump mounting bolt behind the pulley to 27-40 ft. lbs. (36-54 Nm), and the remaining pump mounting nut to 23-34 ft. lbs. (31-46 Nm).

4. Lower the vehicle.

1.9L and 2.0L SOHC Engines

See Figures 10 through 16

1. Insert a 3/8 in. drive ratchet or a breaker bar in the hole on the automatic tensioner, then pull the tool toward the front of the vehicle.

2. While releasing the belt tension, remove the drive belt from the tensioner pulley and slip it off the remaining accessory pulleys.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: Insert a 3/8 in. drive ratchet or breaker bar into the hole of the automatic tensioner

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 15: Pull the breaker bar or ratchet toward the front of the vehicle to relieve belt tension

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 16: Once the tension has been released, remove the belt from the pulleys and the vehicle

To install:

1. Position the drive belt over the accessory pulleys.

2. Insert the 3/8 in. drive ratchet or breaker bar into the hole of the automatic tensioner, then pull the tool toward the front of the vehicle.

3. While holding the tool in this position, slip the drive belt behind the tensioner pulley and release the tool.

4. Remove the tool from the automatic tensioner.

5. Check that all V-grooves make proper contact with the pulley.

2.0L DOHC Engines

See Figure 13

1. Raise the car and safely support it with jackstands.

2. Use a 13mm wrench to rotate the tensioner clockwise.

3. Remove the drive belt from the pulleys.

To install:

1. Position the belt on the pulleys.

3. Route the belt as shown in the illustration and release the tensioner.

4. Lower the car.

5. Run the engine for a few minutes to seat the belt in the pulley grooves.