Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

My daughters car wont start..starter..charging

Customer Question

My daughters car won't start. It has a neww starter, battery, each part of the charging /starting system has been checked and appears to be okay. But it won't start. I turn the ignition and I get power like on the dashboard, headlights etc. But when I try to start the car, nothing. It's like the car has no power. The engine doesn't even try to turn over. Then, every so often, without explanation it will start.   

Her car is a Nissan Sentra, 1988, manual transmission. I've replaced the starter and the flywheel. Actually, I'm on my second starter. First replacement would not start car without someone tapping on the starter while someone else tried to turn the engine ove. Took it back to the store got a new one. Also replaced flywheel. Since then I think it's started only twice. It acts as if the starter is not getting power. But I can't figure out why or where the problem is. Thank you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.

Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Check for power at the small starter terminal while attempting to crank the engine.Check the larger wire for power at all times.You could have a faulty starter relay or clutch interlock switch or yet another bad starter.Make sure the battery has at least 12 volts before doing any testing.You should have power at 2 wires in the crank position at the starter relay.You can also try jumping the green/red wire to the black wire at the clutch interlock switch and see if it will start.Please click on the accept button.If you need more help after accepting the question I will gladly help for the already paid accept.Don't close the post if you need further help.I will not be able to respond if you do.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: I am waiting for my son to get back because he is the one who needs this information. I have never used this site before and don't know what I am doing exactly. Can I disconnect from internet to call my son and tell him to get his --- home without losing this?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Sure, just use the same e-mail links to get back to it or print it out for him.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Sorry, My son's van broke down last, fuel pump, so he didn't get home untill after he's got a new and put it on.

But he's here now. And all i seem to have on here i the diagram you sent. Your post went away when I replied to it last night.

Thank You,

Diana
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Ryan is outside doing as you suggested. He'd like to know what the next step is if this doesn't fix the problem.

Thank You,

Diana
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Why do I lose your answer eveytime I leave site and return?
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

Did Ryan find the problem?

Site management welcomes any questions or comments about site performance. Tell them jon_050 sent you and they'll roll out the red carpet ;)

http://www.justanswer.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=1

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Scroll down to the bottom and click on the link that says "show all" at the bottom right of the messages. It hides the ones you already read to make it simpler.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 After he checks it let me know what happened and the results of the checks I said to do.Need that info to proceed.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Are you there? If you aren't going to help me now I would apreciate it if you would say so. so I don't waste any more of your or my time.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
He tried everything you suggested and it still doesn't start.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 I have a job so I'm not sitting here 24 hours a day.No one on this site is.I answered your post before work and you haven't answered it yet.What were the results of the voltage checks you were to perform and let me know?He tried and it still doesn't start tells me nothing about the voltage checks I need the results from.