Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

1996 AMC Eagle Vision ES, 3.3liter..fuel pump..relay

Customer Question

1996 AMC Eagle Vision ES, 3.3liter, fuel related problem. No power to the fuel pump. fuse and relay have power to them but no power feeding to the fuel pump. I have checked all electrical connections and have replaced both fuel pump assmly, relay and fuse. something is preventing power from being delivered to the f/p assmly
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 There are 2 fuses that affect the pump operation.Fuse #12 and fuse B.The red wire to the relay should be hot all the time.The dark blue/white should be hot in the crank or run position so check both.Also check the dark green/black wire where it comes out of the relay for power.There is a junction block that could be the problem but do the above first to narrow down the location of the problem. 
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: As stated in the problem. There is power going to and from fuse #18 (not #12) #12 would be a 5 amp hi beam headlight fuse. The relay is good. There is power at the blue/white termination when the ign. is on. There is also power when the key is in start at the green/black on other side of relay. The problem exists somewhere after power leaves the relay/eng fuse box towards the fp assmly. Any Ideas would be appreciated..Davo/diablo666 pleaselet me know what you consider the "b" fuse as it is not marked on this vehicle and all the engine compartment fuses test good for continuity. Thanks
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.

Jumper the red to the dark/green black at the pump relay and see if the pump runs.If the pump has ground it should run.If it doesn't you will need to make some continuity checks on the wiring.I will post a diagram it may help you.

Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.

Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 You will need to find the junction block and check it for corrosion.Take a test light from the pump connector dark green black wire to the black tan wire and see if it lights.Check the black/tan for continuity to ground,check the green black for power while cranking.If the test light illuminates the pump is bad.The other check will tell you if you are missing power or ground.Do you have injector pulse? If you have power at both points on the relay the fuses are ok.   
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Diablo666 Thanks for the diagram.. I have not had a chance to follow your advice and answer the questions. I will do so this weekend. There is a deposit and I am willing to send you $$$. I followed the link and the reply question closed apeared. So I hope you continue to advise me. I would like to solve this problem. I will post another reply with the answers. Open the question so I can $$$$ foryou
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 The question is open if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to reply.Only customers can reopen their questions.