Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

2004 Dodge Stratus.

Customer Question

2004 Dodge Stratus.
I went to disable the childproof lock on my car and i accidenty hit that black latch and i must have turn it all the way and now i can't get my door shut and i don't know which way to turn it to fix it can you please help thanks alot, Lori
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Stick a screwdriver into the center of the latch where the upper and lower jaw meet and put a pressure toward the car while opening the outside handle.
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: ok that didn't work either see it is like medal i don't know accently where the jaws meet at because it is where i can't see it only thing i can really see is a little metal bar
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
ok that didn't work either see it is like a metal and i don't know accently where the jaws meet at because it is where i can't see it the only thing i can really see is a little metal bar
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Maybe I'm not understanding what your saying happened. I'm assuming the latch is in a closed position with the door still open. There are 2 jaws at the latch that come together to wrap around the door striker, except they've come together before hitting the striker. That means if you get behind the jaws, you can pull them open if you holding the door handle open.  
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I just wanted to say thank you so much for your help we got it fixed this morning you are a great mechanic i know where to come to now if ever i need help with my car thanks so much

Lori

PS I know now not to touch that black latch that is in the door LOL
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Your entirely welcome Lori, Hurry back.