Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

1986 240 DL: cyl..firewall..is for the oil pressure relief breather.

Customer Question

1986 240 DL Volvo 4 cyl - I was told there was a breather filter (about the size of a half dollar and somewhat flat like a half dollar) in the rear of the motor on top towards the firewall. Does anyone know exactly what the oil breather is located? This is for the oil pressure relief breather.
Category: Car
Expert:  Darrol L. Belt replied 11 years ago.
It's actually part of the PVC system (postive crankcase ventilation). I belive Volvo calls it a flame trap. Follow the breather hose from valve cover to intake manifold and remove at manifold side. You should see it setting in manifold. It is a little bigger than a quarter, round in size, made of plastic with little holes in center of it. If you look hard enough and pull a couple of breather hoses you'll find it now that you know what it looks like. Oh. The depth of it is no deeper than 1"1/2". Good luck and hang in there. Please click on accept. Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Darrol L. Belt's Post: Hello- There is no hose of any other item coming from the valve cover, and I think you are correct in the item I am looking for being called a flame trap. But I do not see what you are talking about.

Is the flame trap on the intake manifold or is it supposed to be on the valve cover?

The eye is great but a picture owuld be much more helpful. Thank you    Scott Burry
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
This looks promising. I wil take a very close look this afternoon. Get back to you asap.

Thanks

sb
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
If I am standing at the front of the vehicle and looking toward the engine compartment, is this item on the spark plug side, top or driver's side of the vehicle motor? The diagram does not look exactly what I have but I can find the air filter. Its just that the hose that come soff the air cleaner/filter is about 4 inches around and not a half inch hose as depicted in the diagram.

Is there a clip holding the flame guard in or can a slight tug on the hose reveal the item?

Also, can I just was that thing out, throw it out, or should I replace it. I have 2 volvos the same, one with 270,000 and the other with 130,000 miles. Both engines look identical

Thank You

sb
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Click image to see an enlarged viewMaybe this will help there is more than 1 engine type.Don't throw it away,clean with carb spray or replace it.Replacement would be best at your mileage.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Replace any torn or disintegrating hoses with heat treated, preferably factory replacement, hose. The PCV nipple(s) in the intake manifold, the flame guard and the oil trap should be removed and cleaned every 12,000-15,000 miles (19,324-24,155 km) on cars so equipped. The PCV nipple may need replacement at 60,000 miles (96,618 km).
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I already got the answer I was looking for from Davo/diablo666

No more answers please.

Thank you

Doc
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
OK I found the item a few days ago. Please do not respond to this question any more. Thanks,
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Sure   hOw do I close?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Please do not respond any more to the flame guard question. Now I have another question about a 1985 240 DL Volvo. I was driving along and suddenly the motor stopped. I determined that the fuel is not reaching the fuel injectors. I also determined the (in the gas tank) fuel pump is working fine but that the (in line) fuel pump was not pumping any fuel. I replaced the filter and the fuel pump but stil no fuel reaches the injectors. I tested the fuel pump I took out and it works fine, so now I have determined the in line fuel pump is not getting any electricity. I can only find one main relay (white) on the passenger's side under the glove box. I have replaced that but still no electricity to the in line fuel pump. I also replaced the computer (first disconnecting the battery) and still no electricity to the in line fuel pump. What is causing no electricity to the in line fuel pump, and if so, where is that item and the name of that item? Thanks XXXXX
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 You would do much better by opening a new question from the beginning so people are not confused.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: OK thanks
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: I have fixed this problem so please do not respond to this question. Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions.