Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2000 Chevy: freeway..automatic transmission..solenoid..light came

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Chevy c1500 pick-up - 87000 miles - and have some "stump the expert" questions - vehicle is used every day and passed emissions with flying colors last December
Vexing question #1 - older vehicles had simple vacuum actuated heater controls - newer models are vacuum and electronic as you know - on mine when I turn the temp control to heat it heats fine - when I turn it back to cool - it stays in heat- when I turn the engine off (i.e. - eliminate the vacuum ) and restart it - the temp control will produce cool air when turned to the cold position and heat when turned to heat - when turned back to cool - I still get heat until I turn the engine off again ------ so it appears that somehow the vacuum is not being "turned off" when I turn the temp from heat to cool - when you answer what the fault might be - pls be descriptive including where the defective part(s) are , how to access them and what is necessary to replace/repair them.
Vexing problem #2 - same vehicle ------ when I have to decelerate while on a grade usually due to a slower moving vehicle in front of me, when I resume acceleration - with my the accelerator in approx the same position as when I let off - not braked - I get a very slight "stall" - maybe even 2-3 times b4 smoothing out again -this happens mostly under the conditions I described - letting off the accelerator and then putting my foot in as close to the same position as b4 ---- very rarely does this "stall" occur when on a flat surface - it does not happen in in town driving - it always happens on the freeway ---------automatic transmission
vexing question #3 - same vehicle - I changed the float assembly in the fuel tank as it was bad - I have lowered the fuel tank 3 times --------- the first time I lowered it and tried to use the float assembly from my son's old fuel pump from his truck which he had replaced - the solenoid was bad but not the float assembly ------ the assembly from his was not configured the same as mine so I did not change it and reinstalled the tank - no problem ------ the second time I lowered the tank I replaced the fuel float assembly with a GM replacement along with a new O-ring - the fuel gauge worked fine - however the "service engine soon" light came on - I had it checked and the code said evaporative emission leak ------ one of the 3 lines coming into the fuel pump had been kinked but not seriously - I installed a metal "splint" alongside the kink so as to prevent any possible pinching of this line - I then had the computer code reset and the "service engine soon" light went out and stayed out for 400 miles but then came back on again - when I installed the "splint" - I methodically checked all lines , connections, etc. around the fuel tank for any kind of misconnection, break , etc ---------- any clues?
Category: Car
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

Q1- Engine size is nice to know?

Q2- The "stall" is this simply an unexpected decrease in engine rpms?

Q3- Has the same trouble code set again? If the code(s) haven't been checked we will tell you how to have the pcm scanned for free.

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 A little too many questions there for a single question. You need to separate some of that stuff into individual questions and track and accept them separately. This thread could go on forever.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: Q1 - 4.8L
Q2 - no real drop in RPM - problem only lasts for a microsecond -too quick to notice any rpm drop - does not feel like one tho - and also to mention - the problem happens while taking my foot from the accelerator while on a grade and then reapplying my foot to the accelerator - for example - I am starting to go up a grade at approx 60-70mph (this is a constant) - I come up on a slower moving vehicle - I cannot pass because there is a vehicle in the adjacent lane(s) - I lift my foot from the accelerator - do not apply the brake - then when the adjacent car has passed I put my foot back on the accelerator - trying to hit the same pedal position -that is when the "stall" occurs - a very brief hesitation and then back to normal acceleration