Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

Local mechanic..blew..The car runs, accelerates and shifts awesome

Customer Question

Local mechanic blew out all the carbon and ran cleaner through the system. The car runs, accelerates and shifts awesome. I just bought and of course this happens to me. The code is secondary air injection system malfunction.
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 What year?What engine?If you know does it have a single or dual air pump system?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: It is an 01 3.5liter 6cylinder. I am not sure about the air pump system. I don't know what that is.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 In the underhood fuse box you will find a 50 amp maxi fuse for the air pump.You will most likely find this fuse blown.If you do you will need to replace the secondary air injection reaction pump.Commonly called A.I.R pumpIf you choose to do this yourself I would suggest replacement of the vacuum control solenoid at the same time.I have seen the solenoid fail and cause exhaust to enter the pump and be the cause of the failure.If you need help replacing the parts just ask.Please click on my accept button after viewing.If further help is needed on this problem I will help for the fee you already paid by giving me the accept.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: The maxi fuse is not blown. If the fuse was replaced, would it blow again? Does a bad AIR pump have any effects on shifting or acceleration or how the car runs?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.

No it will not affect engine or transmission performance.It will make you fail an OBD2 emission test if you state performs them.If the fuse isn't blown why would you want to replace it?If it was blown you could try just changing it and hope it was just water in the pump.Usually they don't last too long after having water in them any how.You should be able to hear the pump run when you start the engine in the morning.If it does clear the code and see if it resets.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I hear the pump in the morning I believe, it is a low humming sound correct? Is there a way to test if the pump is working?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 You can remove the outlet hose and have someone start the car in the morning when the engine is cold.You should feel air come out of the hose and hear the pump run.Chances are if you are hearing a humming in the morning the pump is running.Clear the code and see if it comes back.If the code comes back the bypass solenoid may be bad not opening the shutoff valve or the shutoff valve may be bad or the PCM is not controlling the solenoid.Check the ignition 1 fuse in the underhood fuse box it is for the solenoid and pump relay and is a 10 amp fuse.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
The 10 amp fuse is good. I am not a mechanic, so I don't know where the hose is you are talking about.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Object Number: 650766  Size: SH#3 is the outlet hose.When first started in the morning air should come out of the pump right there with the hose removed.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
If air doesn't come out take a test light and check for power and ground across the connector for the pump.Please ACCEPT my answer and I will continue as needed to help you solve the problem.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Having same problem again. It was fixed for a while. I replaced the AIR pump once. The old one had a lot of water in it. All I did was replace the pump, I did not do anything to keep the water from getting in the new one. What allows water in the pump?
Expert:  Davo replied 10 years ago.
I have more info on your problem.However it has been since april 26th of 2005 since this all started and you never accepted my answer.For that reason I hesitate to continue.If you accept my answer I will give you the part numbers needed to correct the problem.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Expert:  Davo replied 10 years ago.
The part number is XXXXX the directions for the repair.
  • Turn the wheels to the left.
  • Open the hood and install fender covers
  • On DeVille models, remove the upper filler panel. Refer to SI for information on the removal of the upper filler panel.
  • Remove the left headlamp assembly. Refer Headlamp Replacement in SI.
  • Remove the exiting AIR inlet hose retainer located between the inner and the outer fender.
  • Remove the secondary AIR pump. Refer to Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump Replacement in SI.
  • Remove the AIR pump inlet hose from the vehicle.
  • Install the new Secondary AIR Pump and Inlet Hose Assembly (Kit), P/N 19515548. Refer to Secondary AIR Injection (AIR) Pump Replacement and Secondary Air Injection Pump Outlet Pipe/Hose Replacement in SI.
  • Remove the left front inner fender splash shield retainers.
  • Reposition the splash shield to allow access for the new hose assembly installation.

Important: Install the new Secondary Air Injection Pump Outlet Pipe/Hose Assembly to the new Air Pump before installing to the vehicle. This will allow the housing on the hose/pipe assembly to fasten to the pump without damage to one of the holding fasteners.

Important: Located on the inner fender behind the air box there is a oval stamped hole. The new AIR filter must snap into this hole in order for the AIR pump to avoid ingesting water. Removal of the Air Cleaner Assembly may be necessary.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Route the new AIR pump inlet hose between the left inner and out fenders as shown above.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Notice: Secure the new AIR pump inlet hose and filter into the opening on the inner fender as shown above. If the filter is not properly secure to the inner fender repeat Non-Function Air pump may occur from ingesting water.

• Snap the filter into the inner fender opening as shown above.
  • Reposition the inner fender splash shield into position.
  • Install the inner fender splash shield retainers.
  • Lower the vehicle
  • Install the left headlamp assembly. Refer to Headlamp Replacement in SI.
  • On DeVille models, install the upper filler panel. Refer to SI for installation procedures for the upper filler panel.
  • Check the operation of the Shut-Off Valve(s). Refer to SI for Secondary Air Injection description and operation of Shut-Off Valve(s) or refer to DTC P0410 for diagnostic testing of vacuum system, hoses, vacuum solenoid and shut-off valves.
  • Remove the fender covers and close the hood.
  • Customer: replied 9 years ago.
    Relist: I still need help.
    I replaced the pump, again. I cleaned the air filter and at start up I feel is sucking air through, but I am still getting water in the pump. Is there anything else that can cause water getting into the pump?