Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

How do get the disc brakes off the rotors. On my 2003 a Expedition.

Customer Question

How do get the disc brakes off the rotors. On my 2003 a
Expedition.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 You need to push the piston back some with a screwdriver first. I hope you are at least measuring those rotors also because it sounds like they need to be replaced also.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX has less than 30,000 mi. the rotors just need a little scuffing.
Where would you push to move the two pistons back.
The caliper is very wide-the c clamp I use will never work. The only place I could get any presure on the piston might be between the rotor and the old pad.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

I don't know how you can say all they need is scuffing if the lip is preventing you from pulling them off. The new pad needs to start with a fresh flat surface. The old rotor will not be worn flat.

To spread it a little just stick a large screwdriver through the hole in the caliper and try to pry against the rotor to push the piston back a little. Once the caliper is off, use one of the old pads to push the pistons back. You will need some type of tool to do that with or a very large pair of channel locks.

Please click on the ACCEPT button after viewing.

Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: As I said the Expedition has less than 30,000 mi on it. The rotors have a lip on them from the start, they just look a little glazed.
Larry
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Sorry, there aren't ANY rotors that start with a lip on them. The lip is wear. There are many vehicles that use soft enough rotors to give you that much wear in 30K.