Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2000 Chevy Cavalier: engine died..idling..the Trac Off light came on

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier. The other day the engine died due to a hydroloc. A few weeks ago I had a fuel injectio clean and when I left the car was idling high and the "Trac Off" light came on. The people that did the fuel injector clean told me it may be carbon and that everything was ok. Can the problem I had be due to the fuel injector clean?
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Yes it could be from that.I answered your other question could you please keep the topic together.Also please give all the details of the problem as accurately as possible at the same time.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: On March 22nd I took the car in for an oil change and an inspection. The mechanic told me it would be a good time to clean the fuel injectors since it had 60,000 miles on it. I agreed (am soory to say it). When I picked up my car the trac on light was on and it was idling high. I called the attendant again and he said he noticed that when he parked the vehicle. Why it wasn't brought to my attention before I paid I do not know. However, he said he would put it on the computer to see what happened. When he finished he told me nothing showed up and that the car was fine. It may be some stuff from the fuel injector that came out and would eventually clear out. I left.
3 weeks later the car is the same. The Trac On light comes on occasionally and goes right off. The idling seems the same also.
My husband and I decided to take it to the Chevy people to check out and not go to the mechanic who did the car originally. On Monday we were at the dealership buying a new chevy but neglected to leave the old one for service. We called the service dept and made an appointment for Thursday. On Wednesday evening on the way home from work I was turning the corner to street and as I got straightened out there was a loud sound from the engine like a hammer hit it. The car began to lose power but got me to the front of my driveway. As I attempted to turn into the drive it cut off and I had a couple of passerbys push it into my driveway. It never started up again.
That night I called AAA and had it towed to the Chevy Dealership. I left a message on the dealership phone advising what had happened.
The next day the Dealership called me with the bad news that the engine was gone due to Hydroloc. He told me that he believed it was the fuel injector clean that may have caused it. Sometimes errors are made an too much of the cleaner is put in or the vacuum is not done correctly. I called up the mechanic and told him that the engine ceased because of the work done there upon which he called the dealership. When the mechanic called me back he told me that the dealership agreed with him that it could not possiblly been the fuel injector clean and he gave me a bunch of BS senarios. I later confirmed with the dealership that he was told the same thing I was told.

This cost us 4100 dollars that we do not have. It has been a nightmare. I just want to see if I can get some help
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 I can't make the guy pay the bill for the damage that was done at his shop but a small claims court can.I would persue a legal judgement against the place that cleaned the injectors at your local district justice or magistrate.I feel you have a good case if you have the receipts proving they worked on it.As a side note out of curiosity was this place a quick lube that cleaned the injectors?