runnin12s
runnin12s, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  Master Engine Builder / Degree in engines/electronics/steering/suspension etc.
140754

94 toyota celica: my clucth pedal..spring looks fine.

Customer Question

My clucth pedal on my 94 toyota celica sticks. The spring looks fine. It sticks horribly when I'm in gear. It's not hung up on anything mechanically inside the car. I don't know how to fix it. It's practicaly undrivable.
Category: Car
Expert:  runnin12s replied 11 years ago.
First we need to determine whether it's a hydraulic clutch master/slave cylinder setup or a cable actuated clutch, from what I recall it should be a hydraulic unit. Next we would have to know exactly what you mean by "stick" does this mean that it goes to the floor and stays on the floor? or is it hard to initiate while pushing it down. The most common problem I see with these is simply low on clutch fluid cause air to enter the system, if this is so the clutch would in fact go down to the floor and if there is enouph air in the system would stay on the floor and to correct this you should determine where the fluid is leaking from, check the inside of the clutch master cylinder by looking under the dash where the clutch padel/actuating rod goes into the back side of the clutch master cylinder, this should be dry if there is fluid here the master cylinder (clutch) needs to be replaced, if this is dry go down on the bellhousing of the trans and find the actuating slave cylinder (follow the hydraulic lines from master cylinder) there should be no fluid leaking from the end of the cylinder if there is replace slave cylinder after finding the leak, repairing and refilling the system with brake fluid or approved clutch fluid bleed system as you would a brake system, pump the clutch pedal by hand until a slight amount of pressure is felt, hold down pedal and release bleed valve on slave cylinder continue doeing this until all air is purged from system, make sure you do not let the master cylinder run out of fluid or you will need to begin again. With all this said if the clutch is cable actuated check for broke/binding cable housing, if cable is ok and there is no physical damage to clutch pedal assy, transmission will need to be removed and therefore process should be performed by a qualified technician, thanks and good luck