Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1998 Lincoln Continental: ,do I need to remove anything first

Customer Question

I need to know how to replace the balljoint on my 1998 Lincoln Continental. I need to know how to get it off ,do I need to remove anything first?
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
Upper or Lower? 

Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

The lower baljoint is part of lower control arm included instruction for changing lower control arm.

.

Raise the front of the vehicle and position safety stands on the frame behind the lower control arms. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

1. Remove the brake caliper and suspend with a length of wire; do not let the caliper hang by the brake hose. Remove the brake rotor and dust shield. Remove the anti-lock brake sensor, if equipped.
  2. Remove the jounce bumper; inspect and save for installation if in good condition. Remove the shock absorber.
  3.  
  4. Disconnect the steering center link from the pitman arm.
  5. Remove the cotter pin and loosen the lower ball joint stud nut 1–2 turns.

NOTE: Do not remove the nut at this time.

6. On 1992–99 vehicles, tap the spindle boss sharply to relieve the stud pressure. Tap the spindle sharply, near the lower stud, with a hammer to loosen the stud in the spindle.
  7. Place a floor jack under the lower arm. Remove the coil spring as described in this Section.
  8. Remove the ball joint nut and remove the lower control arm.

To install:

9. Position the arm assembly ball joint stud into the spindle and install the nut. Tighten to 80–120 ft. lbs. (108–163 Nm). Continue to tighten until the slot for the cotter pin is aligned. Install a new cotter pin.
  10. Position the coil spring into the upper spring pocket and raise the lower arm, aligning the holes in the arm with the holes in the crossmember. Install the bolts and nuts with the washer installed on the front bushing. Do not tighten at this time.

NOTE: Make sure the pigtail of the lower coil of the spring is in the proper location of the seat on the lower arm, between the 2 holes.

11. Remove the spring compressor tool.
  12. Connect the steering center link at the pitman arm and install the nut. Tighten to 44–46 ft. lbs. (59–63 Nm). Continue to tighten until the slot for the cotter pin is aligned. Install a new cotter pin.
  13. Install the shock absorber and the jounce bumper.
  14. Install the dust shield, rotor and caliper. Install the anti-lock brake sensor, if equipped.
  15. Install the wheel and tire assembly and lower the vehicle. With the vehicle supported on the wheels and tires at normal curb height, tighten the lower control arm-to-crossmember bolts to 109–140 ft. lbs. (148–190 Nm).
  16. Check the front end alignment.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Lower
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Thabk you very much, I am sure I will be back!
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

If this answer was helpfull please click on the accept button. Once you hit the accept button you can gett any extra help you may need on this subject just keep the post open.

Regards Enginboy

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: My driveshaft is right on top of it. When I hit it up I only have 1/2 inch clearance. Will I damage it?
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Did you remove the coil spring? If so the spindal moves up with the drive shaft.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 That's a strut suspension. The lower arm moves down.