Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

Long trip..start back..I put in gear it stalls back out..gets hot

Customer Question

what makes my car stall out when I drive it for a long trip? It will start back up and when I put in gear it stalls back out? It only does it when something gets hot.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 You don't say what kind of car it is but if it's a GM product, it's probably the torque converter solonoid sticking and keeping the torque converter locked. It can be unplugged to find out if that's the problem.
Expert:  Darrol L. Belt replied 11 years ago.
IT HELPS IF I KNEW THE YEAR MAKE AND MODEL. BUT CATALYTIC CONVERTORS CAN POSSIBLY WHEN DRIVING LONG PERIOD AT A TIME CAN PLUG AND ACTUALLY STALL THE CAR AND AT TIMES NOT RESTART UNTIL IT COOLS OFF. DOES IT HAPPEN MORE SO OR SOONER WHEN GOING UP HILL? IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW HAS AN INFRARED TEMP. GUN, YOU CAN CHECK THE TEMP OF CAT. WHEN DUPLICATING PROBLEM. COMPARE BEFORE AND AFTER THE CAT AND IF ITS PLUGGED THE TEMP BEFORE WILL BE CONSIDERABLY HIGHER. BE SURE YOUR TEMP GUN GOES HIGHER THAN 400 DEGREES F. GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE CLICK ON ACCEPT. THANK YOU
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 That's incorrect. A restricted catalytic converter will not give those symptoms at all. A restricted exhaust will limit the rpm attainable but will run perfectly smooth at idle whether in gear or not. The correct answer has been posted and you will need to pay the deposit to view it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: yes I will pay the deposit to view the answer
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Its a chevy cavailer 87
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Looking down at the transmission, you will see a square plug going into the transmission. Unplug that and then drive the car the way you do when you have a problem and see if it is gone. If that corrects the problem, the TCC solonoiud will have to be replaced. You can drive it unplugged for the short term but it should be replaced in the long term. Unlpugging it prevents the torque converter from going in to lock up for overdrive. Without it you will have no overdrive which will overheat the torque converter if done for the long term.

Please click on the accept button after reading this.