runnin12s
runnin12s, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  Master Engine Builder / Degree in engines/electronics/steering/suspension etc.
140754

A roaring noise when I start it and when I let off the gas pedal that

Customer Question

Hi,my car has sort of a roaring noise when I start it and
when I let off the gas pedal that's when I hear it
mostly but not while driving.What's the cause?
                         Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  runnin12s replied 11 years ago.
Please give more info. This could be anything from an exhaust leak to a bad motor mount. thanks
runnin12s, ASE Master Technician
Experience: Master Engine Builder / Degree in engines/electronics/steering/suspension etc.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to runnin12s's Post: Ok, When I start my car there is sort of
a slight roaring and vibration.when I start
off at slow speed you can here it then as
I accelerate it disappears until I release
the accelerator and then I hear the
roaring/vibration.I always hear it when I
let off the gas pedal.This did not appear
until my driveway had worsen and was in
need of repair and there was a pretty good
slump I had to drive over.
It sounds to me that you have bottomed out on your new driveway condition and have caused one of two things. You either have caused the exhaust system to be damaged. (this is the most likely) the reason the car is loudest at startup and decelleration is because when you are at cruising speed you are running "lean" and therefore post-combustion is not happening and therefore it seems "quiet" when cruising. The other thing that may have happened is a mount (motor/trans/exhaust) may have been damaged upon impact with said driveway, in this circumstance it would allow motor/trans/or exhaust contact with a body part causing a reverberation/noise that can drive you up the wall, I recommend finding a suitable garage and have the car examined up on a lift due to the risks of trying to get under a car yourself. Hope this info was helpful thanks.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Hello,I just had my car inspected and a broken
mount was found.Should I have this repaired and
see if it stops the roaring then if its not
that have it further looked at and maybe its
an an exhaust related factor?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to runnin12s's Post: Hi I had someone to look at my vehicle and
a broken mount was found.Shoul I have this repaired and shoul this resolve my problem
or lessen it.If not will it lastly be exhaust
related,thanks!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Hi,my car was checked by someone and a broken
mount was found behing the engine but not
sure which mount it is.If I have this repaired
will the roaring/vibration stop.And,which mount
would that be specifically be,thanks!