Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

98 ford windstar: ac clutch problem

Customer Question

ac clutch problem/ 98 ford windstar. just bought from auction. ac worked fine for first 30 minutes ,quit, then can back on later. put freo in it the next day. worker for 30 minutes or so. clutch is not kicking on. their was no noise. pressure is around 45/50lbs. could it be elect. connection.
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
first question (1) were you sure it needed freon. 50 lb is a little much. the ideal low side pressure on a 70 degree day should be 35 to 40 lb and on a 90 degree day will hang at 40 to 45 give or take a few lb.
one thing if it was low in freon and it cycled to many times it locked itself out, try un hooking battery for about a min clear the computer hook it back up, if it works than thats what it was, you were low in freon and it cycled too many times. but again should check the high side pressure as well 150 to 175 lb is what it should be again it depends on the temp outside as well.
now the next thing if you over filled the unit, it locked out on high pressure. but should come back when pressure fall back, but your saying its not working at all so i doubt thats the case.
you say it made a noice, well if you overfilled the unit and it was more than the clutch could handle it may have burned up. check the voltage at the plug should have 12vdc there with the switch on. if you find voltage there then yes its the clutch. if no voltage again un hook batt back up. let me know
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: Thanks for your reply. No the compressor did not ever make any noise. I did unhook the battery and retried, the compressor did start up for a short moment but dropped out again. still no noise. Have not checked voltage at compressor yet. must be their, at least for a while as it did engage for a brief second on so.
thanks ron for responding,seems the computer is thinking you have a pressure problem therefore locking you out. im going to shoot for this and I will bet I have it right on the head.
your orfice is plugged up causing low pressure right away, by not letting the freon on move about. and when you added freon it really wasnt low but it had just pumped everything over to the high side.
How can you be sure, well you will need someone to recover the freon for you, then look on the thin line for the orfice tube or line, if its a orvice you can remove it and I myself will bet you right here its plugged up. some people in the past has tried butane type freon that is a big big no, not only does it eat the bearings in your compressor, its (flamible) now im not saying this is the case here but have run into cases like this with that same butane stuff.
ok now you will have to replace the receiver as well for theres a good chance it is plugged as well. if you can get someone to remove the old freon for you, you yourself could handle the rest for 134a anyone can buy. but i would say let someone take care of it that knows how to do it. let me know what you find out. and you dont owe me a dime. I just would like to know in the end. Joe
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 A simple way to determine if there is a blockage is to feel the temp of the liquid line. It it is warm to the touch, it has travel. If it's  cold (room temp), you have a blockage.  I think your problem is electrical though.
if the pump wont run long enough to get a line temp that may be hard to check. I still believe shes plugged. oh so common on autos.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 A blockage won't shut the compressor down that fast.