Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1999 pontiac sunfire: you install a new lockset

Customer Question

how do you install a new lockset into a 1999 pontiac sunfire. It has come in two pieces,
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Without Key (Key Lost)/Key Code

See Figures 1 and 2

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: The ignition lock cylinder assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Release the ignition lock cylinder retainer by inserting the release key inside the lock cylinder

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

1. Remove the left side sound insulators from under the dash.

2. Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.

3. Remove the PASSLOCK® cylinder wire from the connector on Cavalier Z-24 and Sunfire GT models.

4. Remove the tilt lever from the steering column by twisting it counterclockwise.

5. Remove the defroster grille (Sunfire snaps out, Cavalier has 1 screw).

6. Remove the instrument panel (IP) end trim covers (Cavalier snaps out, Sunfire has 1 screw).

7. On all Cavalier models:

1. Remove the 8 retaining screws and the IP trim pad.

2. Remove the IP trim plate.

8. On all Sunfire models:

1. Remove the IP valance.

9. Remove the IP center trim panel.

1. Remove the IP compartment panel and unplug the wiring harness.

2. Remove the IP trim pad.

10. Remove the instrument cluster assembly.

11. Remove the steering column assembly.

12. Drill the back of the ignition lock cylinder housing using a 9/32 drill bit.

13. Insert tool J-41253 into the hole and engage retainer spring.

14. Twist tool J-41253 to remove the retainer spring.

15. Remove the ignition lock cylinder.

16. Hold the steering column vertical and tap on the housing to dislodge the retainer spring and remove any metal shavings.

To install:

1. Code new lock cylinder.

2. Place the new lock cylinder into the steering column ( it will not go all the way in yet).

3. Install the key into the lock cylinder.

4. Ensure the key is in the RUN position.

5. Line up locking tab with the slot in the column and push the lock cylinder into the column

6. Install the steering column into the vehicle.

7. The balance of the installation is the reverse of removal.

8. Connect the negative battery cable.

9. Enable the SIR system.

10. Test the turn signals, high beams and wipers.

11. Install the lower sound insulator.

With Key

1. If equipped, disable the SIR system. For details, please refer to the procedure located in Chassis Electrical of this guide.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. If equipped, remove the tilt lever from the steering column by gripping the lever and twisting counterclockwise.

4. Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.

5. Turn the lock cylinder to the RUN position.

6. Push against the locking button on the back side of the bearing and housing assembly and remove the lock cylinder.

To install:

1. Rotate the lock cylinder to the RUN position.

2. Depress the lock cylinder button.

3. Carefully push the lock cylinder into place while rotating the key approximately 5° in the counterclockwise direction.

4. Install the upper and lower column covers.

5. If equipped, install the tilt lever by gently twisting the lever clockwise.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

7. Enable the SIR system, if equipped.