Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

25:18.1

My transmission is stuck in drive. I’ve removed the shift linkage and even moved the shift tab my hand with no luck. It worked great about a month ago, that’s the last time I had the car out. It's full of fluid and has about 10k on it
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 9 years ago.
 Make, model, year, engine size?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro, Small Block 350 with a TH350 transmission
Expert:  Davo replied 9 years ago.
 You need to pull the pan and see if the link inside from the shift lever is still attached to the manual valve(in the valve body)if it isn't it will need reattached or replaced as needed.If it is you are in need of valve body or internal trans repairs.  
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Expert:  Tech501 replied 9 years ago.
 Drop the pan to inspect the interrnal connection. That lever attaches to a slide valve and can jump out.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Well I just cranked the car up and went through the gears. In park, neutral, drive, 2 and 1 the car is drives forward. Reverse does nothing at all. This is by turning the shift tab with my hand. I can hear the transmission clicking inside so I know it's doing something. If the lever on the slide valve had jumped out, would I still hear the transmission clicking into different gears?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 9 years ago.

Yes, you would because the detent ball is separate from the slide valve. The lever fits into a slot on the valve so it can push or pull it out. If it jumps out, it could push and not pull.  I'm not saying that's your problem for sure but it needs to be checked first.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: I know that something is going on because I cranked the car up and turned the shift tab with my hand. P, N,D,2,1 all make the car jump forward as if it were in drive. R does nothing, as if that's neutral now. I can still hear the transmission clicking into gear, would it still make the sound if the lever on the valve body was off?
Expert:  Davo replied 9 years ago.
 Yes the detent lever in the trans will still click even if the rod going to the manual valve is worn or broken the click you feel and hear is a bearing dropping into a vee shaped groove on the detent lever inside the trans.If you take the pan off you will see what I mean.If you find the rod is still connected it means you have a valve body or internal trans problem.I don't suggest that type of repair for a novice not skilled in trans repair because if you assemble something incorrectly it may cause another failure and cost more in the long run.If the rod is off the manual valve the valve body will need to be removed to install a new one.You may wish to attempt that repair but be careful of the checkballs if you lose one or put it in the wrong place you will be no better off than you are now.If you have a shift kit in the trans a new valve body and spacer plate may solve the problem for you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: If that was the case would the trans still go in and out of gear like it does when I go from park to reverse? As I said earlier, the transmission is in drive in all gears(including P and N) except for R which does nothing. In R, the cars does not go forward or backward.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 9 years ago.
 Your not gfoing to know what the problem really is until to drop the pan and look. Many different scenerios are possible but there's no way of knowing without looking.  
Expert:  Davo replied 9 years ago.
Chances are the rod is ok and the trans is going to need internal repair,a valve body or internal seal/bushing is worn..