Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

97 cavalier: windsheild..wiper motor..back to the normal position

Customer Question

i have a 97 cavalier and the windsheild wipers stay in the middle. if i change the wiper motor will it make them go back to the normal position?
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 That will probably fix it if it comes with the delay module installed already.The other thing could be the multifunction switch is bad but the motor delay module is most likely and it can be changed without replacing the motor.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: so if the motor does not fix the problem it will have to be the switch that is the problem?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Yes but try and see if you can get the module by itself it would be cheaper or let me look and see I'll post right back give me a minute.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 The module is not available separate according to my sources so the entire motor will need changed.Yes if the motor doesn't fix it you will need the switch.Do they not turn on at all or do they shut off right there?I'm looking for a little clarification.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
when i turn off the car the are in the middle. and when the car is on they are also in the middle.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Do they operate when turned on?Or do they just sit there all the time?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i can turn them on and off but then just stay in the middle when not in use
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Ok if you turn the key on and turn the wipers off then unplug the switch for the washers and wipers and the wipers park the switch is bad.If they stay on the middle of the windshield the motor and delay module assembly is the problem.You should be able to do that test to confirm what is at fault.The module may be available seperately at the dealer but I can't check until tomorrow.You should be able to purchase a motor and module assembly today locally where you live today though.I hear it rains alot in Fla.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
where is the switch for the wipers? and how do i unplug it? i already have a new wiper motor. what is the module for? and yes it does rian alot in florida.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 The switch should be onthe steering column under the cover the cover is held on with 2 screws.If you already have the motor put it on and see what happens.The module controls when the wipers park and delay and speed.  
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
ok i will try tomorrow and will write back with my results.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
if i accept the question and pay for it am i still able to ask u questions with out payin again?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 If you don't close the question yes you can because someone else has done it.What is your other question just ask it/them first.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
where are the plugs to the wiper switch? wut do they look like ?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Object Number: 291808  Size: LF
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 #2 is the connector and #4 is the switch.Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i could not get out the connector so im going to try to replace the motor. i took off the part of the plastic cover but not fully because of the wipers wut do i do?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Object Number: 347706  Size: SH
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.

1. Place the wiper arms in the park position.
  2. Open the hood.
  3. Install a protective covering over the fenders.
  4. Remove the washer hose from the washer nozzle.
  5. Remove the cover from the nut.
  6. Remove the nut from the wiper arm and the wiper transmission drive shaft.

Important: Use a battery terminal puller to remove the wiper arms if they cannot be removed by rocking.

7. Remove the wiper arm from the wiper transmission drive shaft by rocking.

Installation Procedure

Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.

Object Number: 347709  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

1. Remove the wiper arms. Refer to Wiper Arm Replacement .
  2. Remove the plenum chamber water deflector. Refer to Plenum Chamber Water Deflector Replacement .
  3. Remove the electrical connector from the wiper motor.
  4. Remove the three screws and the wiper drive system module from the vehicle.
    Object Number: 306506  Size: SH

5. Remove the wiper transmission from the wiper motor crank arm using the J 39232 .
    Object Number: 347710  Size: SH

6. Remove the two screws and the wiper motor from the tube frame.

Installation Procedure

Tools Required

J 39529 Wiper Transmission Installer

Object Number: 347710  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Install the wiper motor onto the tube frame with the two screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

Object Number: 306515  Size: SH

2. Install the wiper transmission onto the wiper motor crank arm using the J 39529 .
    Object Number: 347709  Size: SH

3. Install the wiper drive system module onto the vehicle with the three screws.

Tighten

4. Connect the electrical connector onto the wiper motor.
  5. Install the plenum chamber water deflector. Refer to Plenum Chamber Water Deflector Replacement .
  6. Install the wiper arms. Refer to Wiper Arm Replacement .
  7. Operate the wipers and check for proper operation.

Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 I hope this is what you need.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i donot have a battery terminal puller and cont get the wipers off so wut do i do?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Remove the nut from the arm and swing the wiper arm up quickly of the glass.That will usually break them free.Swing it all the way up.