Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

96 ford Taurus: cuts..right back..mechanical..It does not overheat it

Customer Question

As I am driving My 96 ford Taurus cuts off completely and most of the times turns right back on it does not loose electrical power just mechanical. Sometime when it shuts off it does not come back on unless I let it sit for about ten minutes. It does not overheat it seems fuel related. Please help I just recently put a new Transmission in it so I know it can not be that.
Category: Car
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

which engine?

was problem present b4 trans replacement?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: Problem was present before trans replacement but it was a rare occurance. The engine is a 6cyl 3.8. I appreciate your time
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 It's possible to have an intermittant crank sensor problem but you would have to verify that you are losing spark at the time of the failure. That car doesn't use an ignition module.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: If when I take the car in and this is the case what should the cost be around to have it repaired. I was driving home today and it cut out on me again and would not start back up again until I let it sit for about 10 minutes. It acts like it is flooded more the electric. I did last week add slick 50 to the gas to try and clean the injectors but obviously that did not work. Is it possble the fuel filter could be clogged or maybe fuel pump going out. I justwant to make sure whe I toke it in they do not give me the run around. Plus also "Can I defineatly rule out problem caused by Transmission"
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

You shouldn't have to worry too much about the run around because you can hold them to their diagnosis. They will probably charge you a diagnostic fee to test these things but once they tell you what the problem is and give you an estimate, hold them to that repairing the problem. The fuel pump is a possibility but I really don't think so with the symptoms you are describing. The crank sensor provides reference signal for the computer to supply spark and injecter pulse and that type of electroinic component is prone to quitting when hot and working after cooling. I would guess that without counting the diagnostic time, a new crank sensor installed should be under $200 although there are other electronic possibilities like the cam sensor and the computer itself. It will take some diagnostic testing at the time the car is dead to be sure.

If I have answered your questions sufficiently, please click on the accept button to complete the transaction. You can still ask follow up questions after if you need to.