Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1993 Ford E-150: van..power windows and mirrors quit..test good

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Ford E-150 van. The power windows and mirrors quit at the same time. The windows are on a breaker and the mirrors a fues, and they both test good. Where is the problem? I will pay if you have the answer!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Do the windows work from either side?

Is the mirror control on the door?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Good evening Tech501, The driver side door can control both windows, the passenger side controlls only that side. Both mirrors are controlled from the drivers side door. Again the windows are on a breaker which checks good and the mirrors are on a seperate fues that checks good. Thanks for your help, Bob
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Wiggle the wiring harness the passes through the front of the door. they tend to break wires from opening and closing the door frequently.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I have wiggled the wiring harness that goes through the front door. This did not work but will try again. What wire in the harness specifically should I be looking for. Is there a ground wire that grounds all the non working motors in that harness? I was told by another mechanic that I needed to replace the door lock relay that was under the hood. I can find nothing labled door lock relay, and anyway my door locks work, I would like some more specific guidance if possible. Thanks again Bob
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I'm at home today and I don't have access to that schematic. I'll try to get one tomorrow and get back to you tomorrow evening.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Sounds good, I will look for your reply, Thanks again, Bob
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Tech 501, I am still waiting for your reply, Thanks again, Bob
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

I came back but your question was closed. I see you reopened it.

OK, here's the deal....
They do all share a common ground but the kicker is that it appears the other windows also use those ground paths. It should be checked, but I don't have high hopes for it being the problem. The wires come together and ground at "Behind LH side of cowl". The grounds are all black wires. Your power supply for the windows comes from fuse #14 on the R/LB wire to the master switch. The same power wire "tees off" and goes to the right switch also so if one is getting power to one door and not the other, there has to be a break in that wire coming into the drivers door.

The power mirror control gets it's power from fuse #8 and comes into the door on the LG/Y wire to the switch. This switch also shares the same ground with the windows. This should be enough info to get to the bottom of it. If you end up needing the schematics, I can scan and post them later but you have the pertinent info from the circuit.

Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Your question closes in 2 hours from when I'm posting this and you haven't accepted an answer yet. A lot of effort went in to helping you. Don't forget to accept this.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Thanks for all your research. I will give it a try, but why did you start your comment saying that you did not think this work? Thanks Bob
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I was talking about the ground being the problem when I said that and the reason was because you stated that the other windows worked and the way it is wired, they all use the same ground path through the main switch so I kinda doubt it's a bad ground but you should verify them them anyway to be sure.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Just read your free post, I think you are right about the ground, because neither of the windows work and neither of the mirrors work. I hope to get some time to check it out and will let you know the out come in case you hear of this again. Thanks for all your time. Hey am I to leave feed back like on e-bay, if so I will and problem solved or not it will be good. Bob
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Your welcome Bob, Check back if you have any further questions.