Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

42:24.0

Customer Question

I have a 97 Nissan Maxima with a RE4F04A Transmission. It shifts hard mostly in second gear but some times other gears also. I had it scanned by a tranny shop and they said that it was the Line Pressure solenoid. I Replaced it and it didn’t change anything. I sanded and put dielectric grease on a bolt that went through the bell housing to the transmission and sanded and put grease on the the grounding strap that went from transmission to frame. Still not working right. Had it scanned again by another shop. They said it was the wire going from the solenoid to the computer (TCM). I traced the wire down and replaced it. Still hasn’t changed anything. I think I did everything but replace the stinkin TCM. What is wrong with my car!!! Please help
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Scanning only gives part of the info.I am not a Nissan expert but can tell you the terminals at each end of the wire can cause the problem also along with the tcm.Some one with a good scan tool should be able to command the pressure control solenoid and check the line pressure response against the line pressure table for that transmission.That info should tell you if the solenoid is capable of controlling line pressure.Pressure control solenoids on most cars default to maximum line pressure during an electrical failure.Make sure you have good power and the control wire is good.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: I replaced the Line pressure solenoid, which comes with new wires out of the back of it. One ground which grounds inside to the case and one Positive going outside the case. I sanded and put dielectric grease on the outside of the transmission on the grounding strap that goes from transmission to frame. Because of this I know I know it has a good ground. The new positve wire from the solenoid goes outside the transmission and goes into a connector. I took that positive wire out of the connector and soldered a new wire from there to the TCM. So it should have a good positive. While I was waiting for a response I went out and tested the outputs of the TCM with a volt meter. It appeared to be O.K. But that is hard to tell because I have to drive and watch the volt meter at the same time. When I was driving the TCM put out 0 Volts. When it shifted it jumped up to 2.5 volts roughly. Sometimes more sometimes a little less. Is their a more accurate way of testing it? I already have A transmission overhaul manual, but you have to have a pretty good understanding of the terms to be able to understand it.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 You can't repair a pressure problem unless you compare the pressure to the specs at the recommended testing procedure.If you don't have a transmission oil pressure gauge(line pressure)you can't know if it's being controlled properly.You need the pressure and the signal from the line pressure solenoid to correspond and have to be able to check both.Instead of paying for a scan and code retrieval ask them to do a line pressure test you will find out more.You already know you have the code so maybe the tcm is bad.You won't know unless the line pressure is tested properly.You could have a wiring short to ground or voltage but you say you have that covered.My advise would be let a trans shop do a complete diagnosis and if you feel you can handle the repair at that point do it.