Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

NO SPARK - 92 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl. wagon,

Customer Question

’92 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl. wagon, 150,000 miles. Started up the other day, died before it got out of the driveway; yes there’s gas, but no spark. It turns over, and i hear the fuel pump come on, but no spark to the plug i pulled to check for a spark? Why no spark... what should i check?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 You need to also check for injecter pulse with a noid light. If you don't have either one, you probably have a bad pick up in the distributor. If it's only spark you lost, then it's probably a bad igniter. I think you have to buy a whole distributor t o get the pick up and it may come with an igniter also.  Some igniterr are internal to the distributor and some are external.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: At this point i need to take my car in a let someone who knows toyotas fix it. I appreciate your response, and i can't really use the information, for several reasons. I lack the background information to really know what you're talking about. My wife and i need the car in the next couple days, and i'll be at work, unable to work on it. The turn around time with this problem wasn't fast enough. I had someone out to my home yesterday trying to help me with the car, and they have more car knowledge than i do. So, although i sense you are an expert with matters like this, i'm afraid it's too little too late for me, and i have to move on... Thanks for your response, i know 5$ isn't enough for the reply you made, and i'll have to put the other 10$ towards paying a mechanic in my area... I'll try next time with a problem that is less time sensitive... Thanks...
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
All ready posted reply...
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.
 Let us know how it turns out and if you have any more questions.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Your question was answered accurately and whether you have the knowledge to proceed or not, you should still accept and pay for the answer you requested and got.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I think you make a good point, and i don't have a problem paying the total of what i originally offered to pay. At the same time the way the service was advertised and promoted was: payment in full was based on whether or not the response to my question was, "helpful (to my situation)". So i don't doubt that the answer is accurate, it just wasn't "helpful".
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 You were given the correct procedure to trouble shoot your problem. The only way it can be more helpful is if someone comes to your house and does it for you.