Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

24:44.0

I have a 1986 camaro 2.8 fuel injected automatic with air. The electric cooling fan on the radiator will not come on. We have jumped the wire to the fan motor and there is power to the fan but we cannot find what actually tells the fan to come on. We found what we think (acccording to the book we have), is the fan relay on the firewall and have replaced that but has not solved the problem. We have located the 20 amp fuse on the fender but that is fine also. Were assuming that since we have power at the fan motor and when we jump the wires at the replay the fan comes on continuous that there is something somewhere that tells this fan when to come on that is not working. Where is it and what is it? We really don’t want to direct wire this fan so it runs all the time if possible.
  Cooling fan circuit is in lower left hand corner. You also have to check the coolant temp sensor. Witch tells tells the ECM when to turn on the fan relay witch in turn starts your fan.

<> <> <> <>< =':window.close();opener.pop("0900823d80163fcc","gif_large","yes");' = value="Print Image" name=sized> <> <>< =:window.close() = value=Close>

Copyright © 2002 Delmar, All Rights Reserved.

Marc, Technician
Experience: 33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Will be checking the coolant sensor tonight.   If the sensor is ok do you have any further suggestions why the fan will not run?

If fan checked out as you said then the wiring,relay, and sender should be checked. If that all checks out the ECM is probably causing your problem. But check all the other stuff first This problem usauly turns out to be a sender or relay. If the wiring is good.

Check the conectors on the plug at the sensor the sender sometimes leaks antifreeze out the top into the plug. 

Marc, Technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Engineboy: Thank you for your help with this. Do you feel that if we can't find the problem and just wiring the fan direct so it runs all the time will it cause to engine to run too cool and cause damage or too poor gas mailage. Our daughter drives this car only in good weather and is stored for winter.
  The thermostat keeps the engine at a stabil temp dosn't matter what the fans doing. You may see a slight decrease in the life of the fan or your ignition switch with no relay.  

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Just want to say thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the new coolant tenp sensor last night and will be installing it today.   You were a great help. I have recommended this website to several other motorheads in the neighborhood.

Your welcome post back soon.