Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

98 JEEP WRANGLER: I HIT BUMP IN THE ROAD MY FRONT END..steering..shock

Customer Question

I HAVE 98 JEEP WRANGLER, WHEN I HIT BUMP IN THE ROAD MY FRONT END BOUNCES. I have replaced the stablizer steering shock. WHAT COULD BE WRONG!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 The actual shock absorbers are most likely at fault replace them with heavy duty ones.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: IT bounces and wobbles, could my tires be unbalanced and or my alingment?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Other possibilities are worn suspension or steering components.Weak front springs could also cause it.Wheel balance and alignment will not.Get underneath and look for bushings that are off center or have splits in them.Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the pivot points.The tie rods, ball joints and the panard rod if equipped.It is a rod that keeps the front axle from moving side to side.Also check for excessive play in the steering box.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: How do I check for play in the steering box? nd how much is to much? Are the bushing the black rubber parts, that are between the tie rods?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 When moving the steering wheel back and forth you watch where the steering shaft geos in the steering box.If it takes more than a 1/4 inch of the shaft turning before the steering linkage moves it is too much.The black parts on the tie rod ends are seals if they are torn the tie rod ends are probably bad.You can remove one end or the whole shock and operate it by hand if it moves easily it's worn out to test them.Spring that are worn would cause a lean to one side or it would be sitting lower in the front than it should.Also make sure the trackingbar/panard rod  doesn't have play at either end.Shaking the vehicle side to side should show any play in it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: No play in steering box, shocks are good, I think the springs are good, so I think it might be the tie rod ends I can move the tie rod with my hand is that normal?. Are those hard to replace,
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Yes they are fairly easy to do and you can get them at auto zone.