Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

94 cadillac sts: it runs fine..starts fine..traffic..new ignition key

Customer Question

I have a 94 cadillac sts, it runs fine, but after the key is turned off, it will not start, maybe 1hr maybe 4hrs. then starts fine, it does this more if it is warmer weather and if Ive been in traffic, I had a new ignition key? and it is doing the same thing.......I took it back but they will not help me, Im alone and have no one to help me...took it to another place, they said it is the starter, Ive been having this problem for a year! please help   kentucky girl jnlemay
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Do you mean that the car dosn't make any noise nothing . Or the car cranks but does not start?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: nope nothing everything works, lights, radio car just wont turn over, there is sometimes a small short thud sound coming from like behind the steering wheel after I turn the car off does it about 5 times then quits....
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

It sounds like you need a new starter. When the car gets hot it raises the resistance in the starter and this causes it not to work Provided you don't have a security light on on the dash board.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: I do have a light on the dash that say check engine also having a small 5 or 6 thuds after the engine is turned off mean anything, would a starter stay this way for a year? My son is away with (USAFspecial forcesCCT)he usually takes care of this for me he emailed me to tell you that the batt. will drop to 12volts then after a long period of time it will return to 13.5 and start also you can jump start the car other times it wont jump.....have to wait out the time.......Im sorry to be so dumb about this but Ive spent alot of money with no success..thanks for your patience and helping me janie
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
  High resitance in the starter will cause the car to not start when hot, jump starting is giving you enough current to overcome the high resistance. Batteries do not charge them selves, this is the starter cooling down and the resistance in the windings of the starter drop as it cools and allows you to start the engine.    

Expert:  sinndee replied 11 years ago.

think also you might think about the wiring and where it runs across the bottom of that car. In my experience hot manifolds and exhaust can cause things to go wrong. make sure that it is well insulated running through there

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to sinndee's Post: gosh, thanks for all this help, most opinions of cadillac owners have been that the wiring is messed up somehow, theyve never heard of a starter going out of a cadillac.you do smell something hot when the car is turned off, is that the starter? before I have this fixed I need to know most of whats wrong ,they are going to charge me well over $500. with no guarantees that it is the starter. could they have messed up the wiring when they put in the ignition system, they didnt hook my cruise control back up and they somehow busted my heater I just found this out last week, when I took the car in to have this newest mechanic look at it , (this really was a reputable autoelectric shop)guess I came to them at a bad time...thanks for your help   janie.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I had the car at a new autoelectrical shop and he said it may not be the starter, could be the security system the car would NOT act up for him , this is the second place Ive taken it and left it and the car works perfect while they have it,
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Is the securety light coming on when this happens?