Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

90 audi coupe: there a way to open the hatch

Customer Question

Is there a way to open the hatch on my 90 audi coupe quattro from the inside. The lock is broken.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 The only way will probably require damaging the trim panel.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I have ordered a new lock for 60 bucks from a junk yard. I guess a better question would be how to put it in since I can't open the hatch?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 It's easy to unlatch if you can gain access to it. The problem is you can't get around the trim with the hatch shut. Your just going to have to tug and pull on the trim some to see if you can get access to the back side of the latch. If you can, it's pretty easy to operate the latch from behind.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Is that how to replace the lock. I will be getting a new lock on friday and would like to know how to replace that so the hatch will operate like it is supposed to.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Once you get it open, it's pretty easy. It's getting it open that's the problem.

Once you get the trrim cover off, the lock is usually help in with a sliding spring clip. If you can reach it, just slide the clip off. 

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: The lock is in the middle of the passengers side tail light. Do I really need to open the hatch to replace the lock or can I do it from the inside of the trunk.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I thought they were one and the same but if you can access the backside of that lock, that's all you need to do.
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Thanks. I get the lock on friday so if I need anything else I might post another question.