Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

A/C repair

Customer Question

I need instructions on how to replace an a/c evaporator on my ’97 Ford Thundebird.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

First as you can see, the dash has to be completely removed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Remove the instrument panel and lay it on the front seat.

2. Discharge refrigerant from A/C system.

3. Remove the high and low pressure hoses and cap the openings to prevent dirt and moisture from entering.

4. Disconnect the liquid line and accumulator/drier inlet tube from the evaporator core at the dash panel and cap the lines.

5. Remove suction accumulator/drier and bracket. If necessary, remove throttle cable bracket and position out of way.

6. Disconnect heater hoses from heater core. Plug hoses and cap heater core tubes to prevent coolant loss during removal of evaporator case.

7. Disconnect vacuum supply hose (black) from the inline vacuum check valve in the engine compartment.

8. Working under the hood, remove three nuts retaining the evaporator case to the dash panel.

9. In the passenger compartment, remove the screw attaching the evaporator case support bracket to the cowl top panel.

10. Remove one nut retaining the bracket below the evaporator case to the dash panel.

11. Carefully pull the evaporator case away from the dash panel and remove assembly from vehicle.

12. Remove three screws and pull air inlet duct away from evaporator case.

13. With a small saw, cut the top of the evaporator case between the dotted lines and make sure all burrs are removed from cut edges.

14. Remove evaporator core from the case.

15. Hold the cover against the case firmly and drill five 11/16 in. (5mm) diameter holes for the retaining screws.

When working on a evaporator core, it is necessary to replace the suction/accumulator drier. Before replacing the evaporator core, it must be leak tested in the vehicle to verify that it is leaking.

1. Remove the evaporator housing. Refer to the procedure earlier in this section.

2. Separate the heater core from the A/C evaporator housing.

3. Remove the A/C recirculating air duct.

4. Remove the vacuum hose harness from its mounting points on the evaporator housing.

5. Remove the heater air damper door vacuum control motor.

6. Remove the heater blower motor resistor.

7. Remove the blower motor.

8. Remove the heater outlet floor duct.

9. Remove the A/C evaporator drain tube seal from the housing.

To install:

1. Attach the A/C evaporator drain tube seal to the core housing.

2. Install the heater outlet floor duct.

3. Install the blower motor and fan cage assembly.

4. Attach the heater blower motor resistor.

5. Install the heater air damper door vacuum control motor.

6. Place the vacuum hose harness, and attach to the mounting points on the evaporator housing.

7. Install the A/C recirculating air duct.

8. Install the heater core to the A/C evaporator housing.

9. Reinstall the evaporator housing assembly in the vehicle.

10. Evacuate, charge and leak test the system. See Routine Maintenance.

11. Check the operation of the system.

Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Are there any "special" hand tools needed for this job???
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 A good 1/4" drive socket set and phillips screwdriver. The heater hoses will have those "spring clip" type of hose clamps that can be very difficult to remove. I would replace them with regular clamps when going back together. You will need the plastic release tools for the refrigerant lines. Be very careful with the refrigerant if there is any left in the system. It is illegal to vent it into the atmosphere. It needs to be recovered by an approved recovery machine. If there is even residual pressure in the system when you disconnect that first line, it will blow oil with dye in it all over you and everything else.