Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1996 chevy: Trying to get the timing chain cover..easiest way..bolts

Customer Question

Trying to get the timing chain cover off a 1996 chevy cavalier....Can someone tell me what the easiest way is. Cant seem to get the cover off.Took all bolts off cover but still cant get it off.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 What engine?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: 2.2    4 cylinder
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

2.2L Engine

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6

The following procedure requires the use of a special tool.

1. Remove the serpentine belt and tensioner.

Although not absolutely necessary, removal of the right front inner fender splash shield will facilitate access to the front cover.

1. Install a suitable engine support fixture.

2. Remove the engine mount assembly.

3. Remove the alternator rear brace, then remove the alternator.

4. Remove the power steering pump, then position it aside with the lines still attached.

5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

6. Remove the front two oil pan bolts.

7. Remove the crankshaft pulley.

8. Unfasten the front cover-to-block bolts and then remove the front cover. If the front cover is difficult to remove, use a plastic mallet to carefully loosen the cover.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Raise the vehicle, support it jackstands and remove the front two oil pan nuts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: The front cover is attached to the engine with a number of small bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: After unfastening the front cover bolts, remove the cover. You may have to gently pry between the cover and oil pan to break the seal to get the cover off

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Location of the front cover retaining bolt holes and studs

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Use a suitable puller to remove the oil seal

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: A sealer driver and a hammer can be used to install a new seal

To install:

1. The surfaces of the block and front cover must be clean and free of oil. Install a new gasket and install the front coverusing a centering tool (J-23042 or equivalent). Tighten the bolts to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm).

When applying RTV sealant to the front cover, be sure to keep it out of the bolt holes.

1. Installation of the remaining components is in the reverse order of removal.