Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1879526

Customer Question

90 Chevy Cavalier z24, wouldn’t start, not getting any fuel, replaced fuel pump and strainer, car still won’t start...got any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
SOUNDS LIKE ECM
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
ECM was recently replaced and is new, fuel pump is working, car tries to start, but acts like it isn't getting enough fuel to run.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
The car will start but it idles so badly it hardly runs at all. Its backfiring. Starting to think its the timeing.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
We have checked everything you have asked. and so far it is all working. we are losing fuel pressure. not sure if its the the regulator causing the problem. There seems to be some play in the timing chain, is why we were concerned about it may have jumped time, just never seen one do it going down the road like this one did.
If you don't want to help that is fine don't bother.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: None of the answers were correct as it turned out to be a leak in the intake manifold gasket.
Tried everything suggested, just that everything checked out ok, and the intake gasket answer came from a friend next door. The intake gasket problem came from a timing problem.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I stated before but I don't seem to see all the replies here that we got it running, and it was backfiring...wouldn't idle. It was the intake gasket causing that problem. There is alot of slack in the timing, and it looks like it could be about to go. The engine is doing alot better since putting the new intake gasket in...don't really care if you believe it or not, I have already seen you are rude with your relpy earlier. Just because you weren't right don't mean someone is lying. I don't need someone that apparently wasn't paying attention to tell me I am lying. I did all the test you suggested. The friend next door is an auto tech for a dealership, and he offered his help yesterday, and he had the proper testing equiptment. The fuel pressure was 50 so that was right. Along with all the other things you suggested. Alot of parts were replaced before finding out the intake gasket was leaking. Don't claim to be the smartest person, but at least I am not rude.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Oh and timing can change when the slack becomes enough from wear to let it slip....
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

How do yopu get an intake gasket problem from a timing problem?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 It uses a crank sensor. The ignition timing can't move, no matter what the chain does and none of it has anything to do with a vacuum leak..
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
yes, it has a sensor. sensor isn't the problem, that was changed. if the gears wear out then it can move. didn't say vacuum leak. the intake gasket was damaged, my fault cuz i didn't get another and tried to cut corners when i was doing some other work....cuz i wasn't sure if the car was worth putting alot into as it wasn't running when i got it.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 No, the ignition timing CAN NOT move. It reads from the crankshaft and NEVER changes. The only driveability problem an intake gasket can cause is a vacuum leak, beyond coolant in the cylinder, which wasn't your problem either.