Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

Chevrolet cavalier: im running to highway..slow down..hesitation..park

Customer Question

i have a chevrolet cavalier 94 i have no major problem on the engine. But when im running to highway and maybe about an hour of the same speed and when i stop or slow down,engine have hesitation and most of the time its turn off, but there no problem of starting again, at park its ok, but when i put on gear sometimes its turn off again, until i can get it to run again, but then when you reach some stop signs, there hesitation that stop the engine.. pls help some advice what should i replace..
Category: Car
Expert:  tech1229 replied 11 years ago.
its your torque converter silinoid valve in the front of the trans. there is a plug (4-wires) unplug that an it will stop stalling. the valve is about $27.00 at the dealer the side cover must come off to change about 1.5hrs to do the job. I owned the some car years ago and i just unpluged it. trans never gave me any problems let me know if you need further assistance!Otherwise, I hope you have found this answer satsifactory and worth acceptance!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to tech1229's Post: so just by unplugging it, it will solve the problem or do i have to replace the torque converter solinoid which when i look up to autozone website it not even exist the $27 cost your telling me. I thought some air hoses or air intake problem that causing the hesitation not on transmission.

thanks.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 No, unpluging is to test the system and you could drive it that way for the short term but for the long term it has to be replaced. It eliminates overdrive and eventually will overheat the torque converter if driven that way for a long time.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: actuall still work not more than 30min straight driving or else it will stop on stop sign or stop lights. and start again it will run only if you put the gear to D1 or D2 or reverse, but if you put on regular drive, engines went off right away with out releasing the brakes yet. what could that be, if the selinoid your saying, why its not affecting all the gear, do you have any suggestion besides this for me to troubleshoot like close to this problem, before i go on this major installion and ofcourse, parts are coming from dealer which is more easier if i can buy this at regulat auto parts store..

thanks..
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Did you unplug it or not?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I never unplug it yet co'z it dosen't give me any problem for now. Maybe it because i drive not more that 50 miles straight, what will happened if im not going to replace this parts, co's this problem already happened a year ago, i just replace the air filter and unplug the
tube hose (came from throttle hose) and it fixed the problem for a year even i drove for longer time. If you see what tube im talking about the one on head cover, theres one that looks likes a pcv valve that connect to the throttle hose, and i just disconnect both end, and it works. But now Im still suspecting some air intake or hoses but i dont know which one...
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Yeah, OK..........