Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1989 buick park avenue: V6 3800..idling..accelerate..alternator

Customer Question

Problem with noise in 1989 buick park avenue V6 3800, when I stop at a stop sign or when it is idling it makes a noise like a bad bearing sound. When I accelerate it goes away. I have recently replace the water pump, power steering pump, alternator and tension bearing.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 You didn't mention anything about the A/C compressor. Remove the drive belt and run the engine to see if the noise is still there. That would eliminate all belt driven accessories but be sure to only do this for no more than a few minutes as you will have no water pump.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I removed the serpentine belt and the noise went away. When I put a new belt on it the noise has continued. The air compressor has a little play in it, however the noise is coming from the general area of the power steering pump and the adjustment belt pulley. The new part (belt) could maybe be faulty however it is making the same noise. I have taken it to 3-4 mechanincs and had items replaced however no one has been able to fix the problem. Do you have any different ideas as to what the problem could be?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 All I can do is tell you how to look for it but it is going to have to be found with some actuall inspection. Spin each pully with the belt off feeling and listening for a roughnes or growling noise. I know without a lot of experience, this is going to be hard to recognize but it's basically the only way to find this. Everything should be able to rotate smoothly. It can be coming from anything that rotates. A trick we use sometimes, but you'll need to be carefull is take a very long/large screwdriver and carefully touch it to a stationary area near the suspect part and put the other end to your ear to listen. Just be very careful of the moving belt when trying this.