Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

1997 GMC Suburban: wheel drive..warning..reverse..transmission shifts

Customer Question

I have a 1997 GMC SuburbanXXXXX1500 SLT. With no warning, I have no reverse and the transmission shifts late, but forward gears are strong. Never had any problems with the transmission before. All maintenance records complete. Tell me what you think.
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

The only thing the two problems would have in common would be the main control seperator plate (could be worn or damaged Unless it is two seperate problems .

Did you check the fluid level that will usualy effect reverse first.

If it is seperate problems the reverse clutch could be burnt damaged or worn out.

Or the direct reverse servo o ring could be cut or broken.

Going with the two seperate problems the main control solenoid stuck, damaged, or solenoid circuit could be the problem. For late shifting.

Late shifting could also be a powertrain control moduel(blown fuse) or circuit problem.

A weak pump will cause both problems also. You could have low aplication pressures to the bands and or clutches.( you have to run line pressure tests)

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: After having no problems with this transmission whatsoever and always running strong, one morning I went out and it wouldn't go in reverse. It did go into all forward drive gears, so I went ahead and drove it to see if it was OK to go to the repair shop. It did shift, but shifted late and at that point I went around the block and came home and parked it. Please keep in mind that it has to be the same problem. It all happened at once. I only drive this about 300 miles a year and I've never had inXXXXXand drive like a Grandma. Transmission fluid looks good. The maintenance is impecable and that's why this seems so strange.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

If this thing sits for long periods you might try warming it up and flushing the trans (profesionaly) and see if that loosens up whatever is hanging (sticky check balls).

One other thing could be pluged filter or damaged some how.

The main seperator plate Pcm  and pump pressures are what have to be investigated first then.

The easiest thing to check is the PCM fuse.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Thanks for the info. If this helps me, I will be contacting you. Thank you.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

You ask me what I thought thats all I could think of without seeing it first hand good luck  post back if you have anymore questions.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Would the ODS throw up trouble codes for transmission problems?
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

whats ODS?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Onboard Diagnostics System
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Yes OBD II could set codes for certain failures If the fuse is good and the failures are monitored by sensors.