Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer Question

My 1996 Nissan Maxima SE car stereo doesn’t power up and the power antenna doesn’t even come up; how do I fix it? I was checking out my amplifier because the fuses in it kept blowing and I didn't know why. So I unhooked everything that was connecte4d to the amp and the stereo didn't work when I was done. Now my amp doesn't work and my car stereo doesn't work. The power antenna doesn't even come up anymore. The clock above the radio doesn't come on either. Someone help me!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Start with checking your fuses. That's what it sounds like.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I did that and none of them were blown, but also I do not have a manual to find out exactly which fuse it is.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

You should be using a testlight to check them. You can't rely on visual. Check every single fuse with the key on. I'm sure that's what happened.

Here are the fuse numbers to look for.

Premium radio  40,21,22,

Mid package    40,21,25

Base package40,25

If your trying to run that amp off the radio's power supply, you can do that. It draws way too much power.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Replacement

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: The fuse panel is located on the left lower kick panel

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: There are also fuses in the engine compartment

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Using a fuse puller to remove a fuse is much easier than using your fingernails

Fuses are located either in the engine compartment or passenger compartment fuse and relay panels. If a fuse blows, a single component or single circuit will not function properly.

1. Remove the fuse and relay panel cover.

2. Inspect the fuses to determine which is faulty.

3. Unplug and discard the fuse.

4. Inspect the panel terminals and clean if corroded. If any terminals are damaged, replace the terminals.

5. Plug in a new fuse of the same amperage rating.

1. Check for proper operation of the affected component or circuit.