Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

Replace a timing chain for an 84 toyota pickup truck standard!!!!

Customer Question

how do you replace a timing chain for an 84 toyota pickup truck standard!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 What engine?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: the engine is a 22R motor, 84 toyota pickup.....asap
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

As you can see, the first step is remove the cylinder head. An experienced tech can do it without removing it, but it's a hard one. 

Here are the cylinder head instructions first............

22R-E and 22R-TE Engines

CAUTION

Never perform this operation on a hot engine.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain the coolant from the radiator and the cylinder block. Drain the engine oil.

1. Remove the turbocharger on the 22R-TE.

2. Disconnect and remove the air cleaner hose on the 22R-E.

3. Disconnect the oxygen sensor wire. Remove the three nuts attaching the manifold to the exhaust pipe and then separate the two.

4. Remove the oil dipstick.

5. Remove the distributor with the spark plug leads attached.

6. Disconnect the upper radiator hose and the two heater hoses where they attach to the engine and then position them out of the way.

7. Disconnect the actuator cable, the accelerator cable and the throttle cable for the automatic transmission at their bracket.

8. Tag and disconnect the following:

1. Both PCV vacuum hoses

2. Brake booster hose

3. Actuator hose (if equipped with cruise control)

4. Air control valve hoses

5. Air control valve.

9. Tag and disconnect the EGR vacuum modulator hoses and then remove the modulator itself along with the bracket.

10. Tag and disconnect the following:

1. Green and brown BVSV hoses

2. Vacuum advance hoses

3. The two air valve hoses; one at the throttle body, the other at the air chamber

4. Air control valve hose (if equipped with air conditioning)

5. Pressure regulator hose at the air chamber

6. Cold start injector pipe and wire

7. Throttle position sensor wire.

11. Remove the bolt holding the EGR valve to the air chamber. Disconnect the chamber from the stay. Remove the air chamber-to-intake manifold bolts and then lift off the chamber with the throttle body.

12. Disconnect the fuel return hose.

13. Tag and disconnect the following:

1. Water temperature sender gauge wire

2. Temperature sensor wire

3. Start injection time switch wire

4. Fuel injector wires.

14. Remove the pulsation damper. Remove the bolt holding the fuel hose to the delivery pipe and then disconnect and remove the fuel hose.

15. Disconnect the wire and hose and then remove the air valve from the intake manifold.

16. Disconnect the by-pass hose at the intake manifold on the 22R-E. On the 22R-TE, disconnect the oil cooler hose at the manifold.

17. If equipped with power steering, remove the pump and position it out of the way without disconnecting the hydraulic lines.

18. Remove the four nuts and then remove the cylinder head cover.

Be sure to cover the oil return hole in the cylinder head with a clean rag to prevent anything form falling in.

1. Remove the rubber camshaft seals. Turn the crankshaft until the No. 1 piston is at TDC of its compression stroke. Matchmark the timing sprocket to the timing chain and then remove the semi-circular plug. Using a 19mm wrench, remove the camshaft sprocket bolt. Slide the distributor drive gear and spacer off the camshaft and wire the cam sprocket in place.

2. Remove the timing chain cover bolt in front of the cylinder head.

This must be done BEFORE the cylinder head bolts are removed.

1. Remove the cylinder head bolts gradually, in two or three stages, in the order shown.

CAUTION

Removing the head bolts in the improper order could cause damage to the aluminum cylinder head.

1. Using pry bars applied evenly at the front and rear of the rocker arm assembly, pry the assembly off of its mounting dowels.

2. Lift the cylinder head off of its mounting dowels, DO NOT pry it off. Support the head on a workbench.

3. To install, follow Steps 15-31 of the 20R and 22R installation procedure and refer to the illustrations.

When installing the camshaft sprocket onto the camshaft, if the chain does not seem long enough, wiggle the chain back and forth slightly while pulling up on the chain and sprocket.

Here are the timing chain instructions............... 

0R, 22R, 22R-E and 22R-TE Engines

See Figures 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18

1. Remove the cylinder head and timing chain cover as previously outlined.

2. Separate the chain from the damper, and remove the chain, complete with the camshaft sprocket.

3. Remove the crankshaft sprocket and the oil pump drive with a puller.

4. Inspect the chain for wear or damage. Replace it if necessary.

5. Inspect the chain tensioner for wear. If it measures less than 11mm, replace it.

6. Check the dampers for wear. If their measurements are below the following specifications, replace them:

• Upper damper: 5.0mm

• Lower damper: 4.5mm

To install:

1. Rotate the crankshaft until its key is at TDC. Slide the sprocket in place over the key.

2. Place the chain over the sprocket so that its single bright link aligns with the mark on the camshaft sprocket.

3. Install the cam sprocket so that the timing mark falls between the two bright links on the chain.

4. Fit the oil pump drive spline over the crankshaft key.

5. Install the timing cover gasket on the front of the block.

6. Rotate the camshaft sprocket counterclockwise to remove the slack from the chain.

7. Install the timing chain cover and cylinder head as previously outlined.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Timing chain-to-crankshaft alignment-20R, 22R, 22R-E and 22R-TE engines

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Timing chain-to-camshaft alignment-20R, 22R, 22R-E and 22R-TE engines

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Timing mark locations-22R engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Removing the distributor and fuel pump drive gear assembly retaining bolt

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Removing the distributor and fuel pump drive gear assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Removing the timing cover front bolt

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Timing cover front bolt

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Removing the drive spline

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: Removing the timing cover

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: Timing chain tied-to-sprocket

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: Removing the timing chain tensioner mounting bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: Removing the timing chain tensioner assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 15: Removing the timing chain damper

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 16: Inspecting the timing chain tensioner assembly for wear

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 17: View of the timing chain and related parts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 18: Cleaning the timing chain cover