Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

92 Cadillac: Fleetwood..Coupe..Deville..91 and put new starter

Customer Question

92 Cadillac Starter problem Fleetwood Coupe Deville. I purchased starter and took it to be installed. Mechanic said he had same problem with 91 and put new starter that didnt fix the problem. it would still spin on occasion. This was strange because the other day I heard the door locks engage and car started right up. Checked around and previous owner had put black tape on the security panel covering a red light???? Any suggestions on how I can find the real problem and if it might be a failing alarm sensor that would cause the starter to spin??? THANKS z
Category: Car
Expert:  tech1229 replied 11 years ago.
caddy's have lots of ground prob. recommend checking for loose or bad ground cable at eng block also pos. ends at battery get corroded inside. take the two cables at the battery apart and cut the red covers off clean real good that should fix it.wont replace starter till you check those
Expert:  tech1229 replied 11 years ago.
that sould do it.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Does the starter operate normally during the no start or is the starter not turning the engine over properly?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: two different situations.

sometimes it turns over and doesnt start and spins.

sometimes it immediately spins...

other times it starts right up.

as i said... i heard the door locks lock one time and it started right up.   after that i would lock it and it "seemed" to start most of the time.

it is my mothers car and she said to put the seat belt on and it would start... that "sometimes" works...

i have even let it out of gear to roll in the driveway thinking it is the neutral switch and sometimes it starts then...

but it "could be" a bad starter and have nothing to do with any of "or any combination of" the above. hope that answers your question.

i am willing to pay the person that gives me a correct diagnosis and saves me time and money on different intallations and products. i hate to put a 100.00 starter on it and it not be the problem and wouldnt be able to take it back.

maybe someone else has had this security alarm situation that causes this symptom and knows what to do or what to check before installing the starter or having electrical checks.. etc....

thanks so much for your reply

zachary
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
If you can get the car to act up grab a volunteer and check for power on the small starter terminal with the key in the crank position.If you have power the starter is the likely culprit.If you don't have power at the terminal with the key in the crank position the diagnostics will go elsewhere.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i have changed the cables but will check the connections and make sure they are tight and clean... when it first started it i cleaned and tightened them and since it is an intermitant occurence it seems like it might have helped but wasnt sure.

I will try the starter terminal and key in crank... but has anyone ever heard of the security system causing this problem??? that is what Cadillac told this mechanic so he sold the car rather than fight it. it concerns me that this car had the black tape over a light on the security panel that we never had noticed.

that, the fact that sometimes when i lock the doors it starts after spinning before and then to hear what he said about the security system it sounds like it might make sense.

its a low mileage clean car and i hate to have more problems... thanks to all and i will pay whoever comes up with the trick to fix it.

thanks!

z
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Thanks i will try that... i answered a longer reply earlier you may want to look at.

z