Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

2003 CHEVY S10: ROUGH..THE WEATHER OUTSIDE WARMS UP;THERE..000 MILES

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2003 CHEVY S10 ZR2 W/4.3 L ENGINE,THE ENGINE IDLES SLIGHTLY ROUGH,BUT GETS WORSE AS THE WEATHER OUTSIDE WARMS UP;THERE IS ONLY 21,000 MILES ON TRUCK.WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS ROUGH IDLE PROBLEM,SOMEONE TOLD ME IT MAY BE THE INTAKE AIR TEMP SENSOR
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
I would think an injection cleaning would solve the problem.Don't confuse vibration with a rough idle.Replace the fuel filter also and it will be about as good as it gets.Vehicles are running on the lean side these days and some roughness will occur.That is unless they are 4 valve per cylinder which yours is not.I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: I HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS AND IT DID NOT HELP.THIS IS A ROUGH IDLE,NOT A VIBRATION.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Is the servce engine soon light on?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: NO SERVICE ENGINGE LIGHT ON.I HAD A PREVIOUS S10 W/4.3 WITH SAME SYMPTOMS BUT IDLE WAS EXTREMELY BAD,WORSE AFTER DEALER REPLACED THERMOSTAT BECAUSE OF EARLY OPENING WHICH SET CODE FOR ECT SENSOR.I AM CONFUSED AS TO WHAT CAUSING BAD IDLE,ESP. W /ONLY 21,000 MILES
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
AIR FILTER PCV AND FUEL FILTER JUST REPLACED
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Were the symptoms present before replacing the above mentioned components?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
IN RESPONSE TP YOUR ANSWERS,YES THE SYMPTOMS WERE THERE BEFORE FILTERS WERE REPLACED.ON MY LAST TRUCK,THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR WERE REPLACED BY THE DEALER FOR THIS PROBLEM,BUT DID NOT CURE IT.I AM AWARE OF ALL THE SERVICE BULLETINS THAT PERTAIN TO THIS PROBLEM.MY BROTHER HAS A BLAZER W/THIS EXACT MOTOR AND HIS SHOWS NO SIGNS OF ANY IDLE PROBLEM,EVEN THOUGH HE HAS MUCH HIGHER MILEAGE.WHY THOUGH WOULD THE IDLE BE WORSE WHEN THE TEMP OUTSIDE IS WARMER?DOES NOT MATTER IN COOLER WEATHER HOW WARM THE ENGINE IS,IDLE IS SLIGHTLY ROUGH.WITH LAST TRUCK,I COULDNT TURN A/C ON WITHOUT HAVING THE ENGINE ALMOST STALL,IT WAS THAT BAD.ALSO AFTER DRIVING FOR AWHILE THE IDLE WAS VERY BAD WHEN I WOULD COME TO A STOP.DEALER KEPT SAYING TRHIS WAS NORMAL OF THE 4.3L,WAY IT WAS DESIGNED.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Are you using K&N air filter systems?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
NO,BUT ON MY PREVIOUS TRUCK I DID AND NOTICED OIL FROM THE AIR FILTER GOING INTO THE THROTTLE BODY SO I DISCONTINUED USE.THIS WAS K&N AIR FILTER OIL NOT ENGINE OIL(RED OIL VS BLACK OIL).
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
What year is your brothers Blazer?Who cleaned your fuel injectors?Does your brother use the same gas as you all the time and drive exactly the same as you all the time?Please don't bring up your old vehicle we are not attempting to fix a vehicle you don't have anymore.According to you it was a different problem anyhow so you are comparing apples to oranges.Warmer air leans out the air fuel mixture.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: I CLEANED THE FUEL INJECTORS MYSELF WITH A PROFESSIONAL KIT.I AM A FULLY CERTIFIED MECHANIC WITH MANY YEARS EXPERIENCE,BUT THIS PROBLEM JUST DRIVES ME NUTS.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Well one thing is for sure GM has very specific instructions for fuel injection cleaning.Also some dedicated equipment is required to do it properly so a simple cleaning kit professional or not won't cut it.You also didn't answer my other questions as to fuel brands/grade/driving habits and vehicle year.A Blazer most likely has different pcm operating parameters than your truck anyhow so the 2 are not the same to compare to each other.Explain your fuel injection cleaning procedure and I will let you know if it was done properly.