Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

security alarm

Customer Question

My son-n-law has a 1991 Chrysler Imperial with a factory installed security alarm. The alarm went off and shut   down the engine. Is there anyway to bypass this. We have tried changing the module behind the glove box but that didn’t seem to help. I read that 97% of the alarms can be turned off by the owners but can’t find out how.
We have tried to re-arm the alarm by turning the key back and forth three times. The alarm light just stays on. The engine turns over but doesn't want to start. Please help! Thanks DS
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Did you try unlocking the drivers door with the key?Do you have a wiring diagram for the security system?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: The drivers door was unlocked with the key but it didn't seem to help. We don't have wiring diagram for the system.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
A shot in the dark but have you tried unplugging the module?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Yes. The module behind the glove box has been changed. We tried leaving it unpluged also. Thanks. He was told also that it needed to be armed before it could be disarmed. I don't know if this matters or not.
Thanks
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

If you want to make sure it is armed disconect the battery reconect then try unlocking the drivers door w/the key.

Dose the engine crank just not start? or no crank?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: WE disconnected the neg. post on the battery then reconnected the post and used the key to unlock the door. I don't remember what order we did it in. Would it make a difference what order you do this in? Whether to lock the door first and then disconnect and reconnect the battery or lock and unlock the door after reconnecting the battery. The engine does crank and acts like it wants to start but doesn't.       
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Lock the door first then disconect batery reconect then ulock door
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: He tried this by locking the doors with the power lock and then dis-connected the battery, waited a minute and then connected the battery back and unlocked the doors with the key. The blinkers continued to flash but still the car would not start. For some reason the horn did not sound.
Thanks for the help.
DS