Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

Ford: smooth..intake..the pretty bad worn lifter that would seat a egg

Customer Question

I had a knocking noise in my Ford truck and I took of the rocker and pushrod and it quieted up and ran real smooth so then I took off the intake replaced the pretty bad worn lifter that would seat a egg without falling off the lifter and sealed it back up and it ran like a top . I ran it for 25 min then shut it off for 10 min and started it back up and it was knocking again so I unloosened the rocker and tightned it back it was quiet again . Every time I shut off the engine it starts again after a adjustment even though this old Ford doesn't have a adjustment . I have replaced rocker and pushrod and still know different . Could this be the cam even though it shut up after I tightned the rocker and If so how ? thanks for any help .
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
If the lifter was dished(hollowed out)the camshaft is junk.The metals wore together to produce the problem.A oil pressure test should be done to make sure you don't have a repeat failure.As for the knocking noise coming and going you are probably making the lifter ride on the high point at the edge of the worn cam until it settles back in and starts knocking again.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo's Post: My oil pressure is at 50 PSI at idle which I though should be lower for stock but I'm not complianing so I'm good there but I have taking these out of a chevy in worse condition and replaced them and not ever have a problem again and how can a lifter ride on a high side when it shouldn't move so it can go back through the hole . The pushrod should hold that lifter in the same place without moving it so it wouldn't explain why after I cut the truck off it goes back to knocking on next start-up .
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Because the camshaft can "walk" slightly back and forth in the engine.If you replaced lifters without the cam before consider your self lucky.You could remove the intake again and rotate the engine by hand and check the entire cam lobe for any marks.No marks should be seen it should be as clean and smooth as glass.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo's Post: Last thing is the oil pressure to high at 50 psi at idle or is that ok for a Ford .
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Also how would a bad cam cause knocking . Its not popping or back firing just knocking .
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
I would not be concerned with it if the relief valve were stuck it would be much higher.As long as you have good flow to the rocker area I would be very happy with 50 psi.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo's Post: Also how would a bad cam cause knocking . Its not popping or back firing just knocking .
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Excessive clearance on the non adjustable valve train.You may also hear the cam hitting the front and rear of the engine from walking on the worn lobe.Maybe the cam bearings are worn also.