Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

1995 Pontiac Bonneville: stall out after getting warmed..wont restart

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville. It will stall out after getting warmed up. Or if you shut the car off it won't restart. The power windows and power door locks won't either. After the car cools down it will restart. It won't do it ever time. It may go 5 miles or 500 miles. The fuel pump (twice), Ignition switch, Ignition module have been changed. It was hooked up to a diagnosis computer and the only thing that showed up was the Mass Air Flow sensor was reading extremly low and needs changed. They couldn't find anything else out because they need the car dead and we couldn't get it to die for the diagnosis.
Jay [email protected]
Category: Car
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.
The power windows and door locks will not work at all times... or... only during stall / no start period?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: The power windows and door locks will not work during the stall/No start period. If you wait 5 minutes and hit the locks the'll move but you hit them again right after that you here a small click. If you wat 5 minutes after the stall and try to move the windows they will move about 1/16 of an inch and stop. After an hour or 2 when the car starts back up the windows and locks work again
Expert:  brandon replied 11 years ago.
you may want to check out the charging system to make sure that everything is working correctly with that and make sure that your alternator is keeping the battery charged
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
When it stalls will the engine crank over and just not catch?In other words can the starter operate or does absolutely nothing happen?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to brandon's Post: I checked the alternator and it was charging a steady 14.3 volts. New battery, then I switched it out with another car. still having problems.