Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1992 s-10 that wont start..cylinders..module in the distributor

Customer Question

hello i have a 1992 s-10 that wont start it has a vortec 4.3liter motor i have 62 lbs of fuel pressureat the fuel rail but the injector pump which is under the intake isnt getting the fuel to the cylinders ive already changed the computer the module in the distributor and ive changed the injection pump and injectors
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
This has to be a  vin W (8th digit) and do you have spark at the plugs?    
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 You don't have any type of injecter pump, you have a single fuel injecter with six nozzels. Like any other fuel injecter, it needs a power supply and a trigger (ground) pulse to operate it. The ECM get it's reference signal for both spark and injecter from the pick up in the distributor. If you find you have no spark either, I'd look at that, (new distributor). If you spark is OK, check that the injecter is getting power supply on either a red or a white wire. The schematic shows both for some reason. This power is supplied by the computer through the "ecm 1" fuse. Check that. The trigger ground is shown coming in on the DkBlue or DkGrn wires but only use a diode type computer safe, testlight to check that.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: yes the 8th vin no is a W and yes i have spark at the plugs the problem is boiled down to the injector pump [which is in the intake ] is not putting the fuel to the injectors but i cant seem to figure out what is causing this
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 You didn't read my answer. There is no injecter pump, only a single injecter with 6 nozzels. Pay the deposit and you be able to see how to troubleshoot the problem.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i have 2 power wires no ground what does that mean? not getting a ground impulse.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I don't know what your checking it with but you need to use a diode type testlight. You should be able to grab one of the wires with the intake still on. You don'r want to do this with the intake off. Check for spark also,. If your missing both, then the pickup in the distributor is bad. Do all your testing with the engine fully together, not with anything disconnected.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
it has no ground and i changed the pickup on the distributor and it does have spark and everything is together and it was when i checked it any more ideas because i am really stuck on this one    thanks
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Will it run if you spray carb cleaner or a little gas down the intake? What is your fuel pressure?  

Also, test your tps voltage to make sure it is not putting it in "clear flood" mode.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
YES IT DOES START WITH STARTING FLUID I JUST CHANGED EVERY SENSOR ON THE INTAKE AND STILL THERES NO LIFE TO IT WHAT NEXT THIS IS VERY AGRIVATING
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
FUEL PRESSURE IS 60 LBS
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Stop throwing parts at it. It has to be methodically troubleshooted. Let's give it a try. Does your check engine light come on when the key is turned to the "on" position? Look at a couple of fuses, ECM/BAT fuse 15A,--- ECM B 10A--- ECM 1  10A

They all supply the ECM with power.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
YES THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT COMES ON AS SOON AS YOU TURN THE KEY TO ON ARE THESE FUSES INSIDE THE CAB OR OUTSIDE DO YOU STILL THINK ITS THE PICK UP IN THE DISTRUBITOR
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
No, not if you have spark. That isolates it to the ECM, related power and grounds and wiring. The schematic I'm looking at isn't detailed enough. I'll see if I can get a better one at work today. Those fuses could be in either box. Check every fuse you can find. Also check all the small grounds and power leads going to the battery.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
forget it i figured it out myself it was a combination of a bad plug to the distributor and the fact that after it got the fuel to it it is also out of time so thanks for the input but i have finaly figured it out on my own and it will be driving home tommorrow thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
I feel tech501 led you to the answer I think an accept is in order here.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
I also printed 25 pages of schematics today tell help more tonight.