Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

major problem involving a car title, and anybody willing

Customer Question

I have a major problem involving a car title, and anybody willing to help i will gladly pay through Paypal! email [email protected]

Ok, we purchased a car off ebay from somebody who purchased it off ebay themselves a few months earlier.

They finally sent us the car fter we got the police involved. lol But now they just sent the title, and its not even in the persons name we bought it from.

We contacted the people that HE bought it from, and they stated that the person on the back of the title that is listed as the buyer, was the delivery driver...lol...wtf

They also stated that they sent some mv-50 new york form thing or something like that, to transfer ownership to the guy i bouught it from, but he says all he got was the title and sold me the car right away and said they told him just to send me the title exactly how it was.

Well, i went to have it transfered over today and they pretty much laughed at me.

What can i do? I need to be able to transfer the title to me. How do i go about this? If someone can guide me step by step through this process and it completes to a triumphant title in my name, i will pay them at the very least $100. If it gets done within 5 days, ill pay $150.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! lol please help! ill give you any info that is needed to figure this mess out!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

There won't be a quick fix here. You have a couple of different paths you could take. If you have the info on the seller, you can take legal action to recover your money since he cannot provide clear title to the merchandise he sold. This would take time and some money but you would probably prevail in the end.

The other route you could take is this, the paperwork to correct this thing seem to have already been started so if you can trust this guy at all, you will probably eventually get your title. Maybe a little legal action might gaurantee results from the guy. Either way, you learned an important lesson about E-bay and big ticket items. You have no protection!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Well now both parties (the guy i bought it from and the place he bought it from ) are both being defensive. He says "he doesnt know what to do" and the other place is ignoring my emails for contact address and phone number.

The title is signed over to another guy , but there was still another space for "seller" and "buyer". Is it possible, if i find the buyer, that he could write his name and tansfer it to me? or do we need a completely different title?? ugh!!!!!!

Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
  http://www.maggard.net/ This company can expidite New york titles UPS it to you I used to deal with them when I had my used car Dealer License. They are in Albany and they have direct computer link to DMV.  

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 No, those spots are for licensed dealers. They are the only ones that can re-assign a title. You probably should retain a lawyer.    
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: It was from an "auto + leasing" dealer i guess.
the buyer sig.
wr auto + leasing XXXXX brooklyn ny, 11223
signiture dmitri korenbush

now theres an empty seller space, other than the one already filled in, and one empty buyer spot, where i can put my name.

can this guy sign in the seller spot??
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

It can only be assigned to one buyer who is not a dealer.There is one special spot for that. The rest of the spots are for dealer reassignment.  Once that is done, the title is void and a new one has to be applied for by the person it was assigned to. He can reassign the new one to anyone he chooses.  

Take Enginboy's advice and use that company to expedite things. You will need cooperation from the other people.

Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

I would not do anything else to that title until you get in touch with Maggard they can take care of the whole procces for you. They will even send the papper work to theoriganal owner then send you the new title. Your going to have to get a new title.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Ok, i have sent an email off to these people yopu suggested. If everything goes great, and i get the title transfered to me, prepared to be rewarded;) i will keep in touch, and update you.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

The tittle will probably have to be sent to who ever the person is listed on the title now( NYS Law) But you can get them to forward it have Maggard show them exactly where to sign it so you don't get tripped up again.  

There is no faster way to get a NY title If you do it yourself  thru DMV it take several weeks  

They are capible of doing it overnight but your case may take a couple of days.