Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

What do you do to instill a clutch set or(kit) for a 1990 honda civic

Customer Question

what do you do to instill a clutch set or(kit) for a 1990 honda civic
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 9 years ago.

This first set of instructions is to remove the transmission. The second set refers to the clutch itself.

1988-91 Models

See Figures 13, 14, 15 and 16

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: Disconnect the components before removing the transaxle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: Disconnect the halfshafts and header pipe before removing the transaxle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 15: Removing the transaxle from the vehicle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 16: Transaxle removal-4WD Wagon

Make sure jack stands are in proper position. Apply the parking brake and block the rear wheels.

1. Disconnect the positive and negative battery cables from the battery.

2. Remove the three mount bolts and loosen the one bolt located at the side of the battery base.

3. Remove the intake hose band at the throttle body.

4. Remove the air cleaner case complete with the intake hose. Disconnect the starter and transaxle ground cables.

5. Disconnect the speedometer, but be sure not to disassemble the speedometer gear holder.

6. Disconnect the back-up light switch connector and the clutch cable release arm.

7. Drain the transaxle fluid into a suitable drain pan. Disconnect the connectors and remove the mount bolts.

8. Remove the distributor assembly for additional access.

9. Remove the starter mounting bolts and remove the starter assembly. Remove the engine splash shield and the right wheel well splash shield.

10. Remove the header pipe. Remove the cotter pin and the lower arm ball joint nut. Separate the ball joint and lower arm.

11. Remove the bolts and nut, then remove the right radius rod. Remove the right and left halfshafts. Remove the header pipe bracket. Remove the shift lever torque rod and shift rod from the clutch housing.

12. On 4WD vehicles, remove the driveshaft and the intermediate shaft. Remove the cable bracket and the side transaxle mount from the transaxle housing and body.

13. Install a bolt at the cylinder head and attach a suitable chain hoist to the bolt and the other end to the engine hanger plate. Lift the engine slightly to unload the mounts or place a suitable transaxle jack under the transaxle and raise it just enough to take the weights off of the mounts.

14. Remove the front transaxle mounting bolts. Remove the rear transaxle mounting bolts. Remove the side transaxle mount. Remove the five remaining transaxle mounting bolts and pull the transaxle assembly far enough away from the engine to clear the 14mm dowel pins.

15. Separate the mainshaft from the clutch pressure plate and remove the transaxle by lowering the jack.

To install:

1. Make sure the two 14mm dowel pins are installed in the clutch housing.

2. Raise the transaxle into position with the transaxle jack. Loosely install all of the transaxle mount bolts, then tighten to 43 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).

3. Install the engine side mount bolt and tighten to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).

4. Install the transaxle-to-rear transaxle mount bracket. Tighten the bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).

5. Install the transaxle-to-front transaxle mount and tighten the bolts to 29 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).

6. Install the transaxle-to-side transaxle mount and tighten the bolts to 43 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).

7. Install the starter and tighten the starter bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).

8. Remove the transaxle jack and the chain hoist and bolts.

9. Install the shift lever torque rod and shift rod. After reassembly, slide the retainer back into place after driving in the spring pin.

10. Install the header pipe bracket and tighten the bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).

11. On 4WD vehicles, install the cable bracket to the rear transaxle mount bracket. Install the select and shift cables. Install the intermediate shaft and the driveshaft.

12. Install a new set ring on the end of each halfshaft. Install the right and left halfshafts. Turn the right steering knuckle fully outward and slide the axle into the differential, until the spring clip is felt to engage the differential side gear.

13. Install the damper fork and radius rod. Tighten the radius rod nut to 39 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).

14. Install the ball joints to the lower arm. Tighten the stud nuts to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm) and install a new cotter pin.

15. Install the splash shields and exhaust header pipe.

16. Install the distributor if removed.

17. Connect the speedometer cable and connect the clutch cable to the release arm.

18. Connect the back-up light switch connector.

19. Install the three bolts located at the side of the battery base and tighten the intake hose band of the throttle body.

20. Fill the transaxle with the proper type and quantity of oil (refer to Routine Maintenance ).

21. Connect the starter and transaxle ground cable.

22. Install the air cleaner case and intake hose.

23. Connect the battery cables, start the engine and check the ignition timing.

These instructions are after the transmission is removed.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 12

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Clutch assembly components

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: View of the clutch assembly mounted on the end of the crankshaft as it appears upon removal of the transaxle housing

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise and safely support the vehicle, refer to the procedures found earlier in this section. Remove the transaxle from the vehicle. Matchmark the flywheel and clutch for reassembly.

2. Hold the flywheel ring gear with a tool made for this purpose or an equivalent method of holding the flywheel. Remove the retaining bolts and remove the pressure plate and clutch disc. Remove the bolts two turns at a time working in a crisscross pattern, to prevent warping the pressure plate.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Secure the flywheel and remove the bolts securing the pressure plate using a crisscross pattern

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: During removal, make a a note as to which side of the clutch disc faces outward

1. At this time, inspect the flywheel for wear, cracks or scoring and resurface or replace, as necessary.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Inspect the flywheel for cracks, scoring or excessive wear-the mounting bolts shown are removable with a 12-point socket

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Inspect the bolt threads. Replace any damaged bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: After its attaching bolts are removed, the flywheel can be removed from the crankshaft

1. If the clutch release bearing is to be replaced, perform the following procedure:

1. Remove the 8mm special bolt.

2. Remove the release shaft and the release bearing assembly.

3. Separate the release fork from the bearing by removing the release fork spring from the holes in the release bearing.

Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. 8: The transaxle housing with release bearing and release fork intact

Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. 9: Removing the release bearing

2. Check the release bearing for excessive play by spinning it by hand. Do not wash with solvent as it is packed with grease. Replace if there is excessive play.

To install:

1. If the flywheel was removed, make sure the flywheel and crankshaft mating surfaces are clean. Align the hole in the flywheel with the crankshaft dowel pin and install the flywheel bolts finger tight. Install the ring gear holder and tighten the flywheel bolts in a crisscross pattern. Tighten the flywheel bolts to 87 ft. lbs. (120 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Flywheel mounting bolt torque sequence. Note the ring gear holder tool

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: Tightening in sequence the pressure plate onto flywheel with clutch alignment shaft in place

1. Install the clutch disc and pressure plate by aligning the dowels on the flywheel with the dowel holes in the pressure plate. If the same pressure plate is being installed that was removed, align the marks that were made during the removal procedure. Install the pressure plate bolts finger tight.

2. Insert a suitable clutch disc alignment tool into the splined hole in the clutch disc. Tighten the pressure plate bolts in a crisscross pattern two turns at a time to prevent warping the pressure plate. The final torque should be 20 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: A clutch alignment tool is here being used to center the clutch disc as the clutch assembly is bolted back together

1. Remove the alignment tool and ring gear holder.

2. If the release bearing was removed, replace it in the reverse order of the removal procedure. Place a light coat of molybdenum disulfide grease on the inside diameter of the bearing prior to installation.

3. Install the transaxle, making sure the mainshaft is properly aligned with the clutch disc splines and the transaxle case is properly aligned with the cylinder block, before tightening the transaxle case bolts.

4. Adjust the clutch pedal free-play and connect the negative battery cable.