Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

Jeep Grand Cherokee: heater, A/C, and Air system..Smells..cool

Customer Question

Jeep Grand Cherokee 1995: Odors from heater, A/C, and Air system. Smells like dirty socks - bad! Can it be steam cleaned? Is there anything that can be done other than to replace the heat/cool exchanger which is expensive?

Al Schalk [email protected]
Category: Car
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.
 Sure is,, one of us with post the solution later. This will give you time to pay the deposit so you can actually view the answer.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: How do I post the deposit?
Customer
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
My local dealer suggested that I spray lysol into the intakes. I did this and it didn't mask the odor.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
It's clear to me from your explanation above that there's is no real good solution for an older car such as mine, except to endure the dirty sock odor or the odor of LYSOL. The solutions you mentioned to "prevent the odor" from occurring are for "new" cars! The other solutions are only "masking" the bad odor for a brief period of time.

Hence, I don't believe you've given me a solution, and therefore don't think I owe you $5.

What do you think?
Customer
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

You can think what you want see ya!
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

Tech501 is correct and engineboy was very helpful.

Do you need further information on products that are effective?

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 They make some new chemicals now. I have had some good luck with. There is one that is injected into the drain and it immediatly expands into a foam to surround the evaporator. Within a few minutes it disolves and drains out. Ask around some of the Firestones or Tire Kingdoms in your area. I know Tire Kingdom sells it. Maybe the parts stores have it by now too.